• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping my '93 3.0L for a '92 4.0L

hans57sauc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I've been reading this site a lot, but never took the time to join the forum. I now am half-way into an engine swap and am having difficulties. I've got a 1993 3.0L v6 2WD with about 225,000 miles on it. I just bought a '92 4.0L 4x4 so that I could pull the engine and swap it into the 93.

I've been driving a Ranger for about 6 years with little to no upgrades. I have a camper shell with a custom Yakima bike/kayak rack on it, and last year I bought the biggest BFG All-Terrain's I could fit without cutting the fenders. The truck has been great, with minor repair work done on it. A few radiators, water pumps, and had to rebuild the transmission twice (about to be a third, the input bearing is whizzing pretty bad). Other than that, no major problems.

As I said before, I'm working on swapping in a 4.0L, which is actually from a '92 exploder, and I want to do so while staying as close to "original" as possible. I don't want an engine compartment full of spliced wires, non-working components, etc. You get the idea. I'll start a thread in the correct section with all the details and the problems I'm running into.

Thanks, in advance, for listening and sharing any advice or comments anyone may have. If it fails, you may see a 4.0L engine posted up here for sale!

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
welcome to the forum. wow that is pretty bad luck on 2, almost 3 tranny rebuilds. suggests to me that something else might be contributing to the problems. check out the Transmissions forum.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals