• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rockwells

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
I am working on getting a couple sets of rockwell axles mostly fronts. I would like to run hydraulic steering in both ends. I am thinking of using a 3 or 4 link coil suspension to hang them. Would it be worth it to keep leaf springs out back or use a multi link setup? I am not too sure on tire size but I will probably try to acquire a set of military michalin tires (i think they are somewhere around 40+ inches). Any input or sugestions would be apriciated thanks.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of designing a front and rear triangulated 4 link for Rockwells. The big problem with leaf springs and Rockwells is the axle wrap due to the super deep gears. The wheel hop problems is mostly in the front so if you want to use a leaf pack the rear would be the best place to stick them. I've seen mixed feelings about the military tires. You can't argue about the price but those who have been using them on lighter trucks don't seem to like them. You can run almost zero air pressure and still get very little conformity around rocks and such. There are a few ways to place them under the truck, just depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.

Matt

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the michelins are 52s and suck if you ask me. there a ok street tire but thats about it. we have them on the 6x6 trucks i drive and are horiable off road. they dont self clean so they arent good for the mud and sand they arnt too bad as long as you air them way down. the goodyears are a little better but not by much imo. like matt said they are a great price and the rocks need a really tall tire so peoplebuy them up.

just my .02

tony

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the michalins go down to 46 in tires. What about grooving the tires? I found a set of 46 in goodyears (the same ones as on hummers).

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much all the military surplus tires are going to be rock hard/stiff. They are for large transport truck and such. You can do ok with them depending on the terrain but none of them will out perform a light truck tire. All of those tires are going to be a 20in rim that is also something to think about. Where as if you choose a light truck tire you can choose from any variety of tire and wheel sizes. The best thing about these tires are going to be the price, usually less than half of other tires. There are good and bad with the surplus tires. Personally I'm going with Iroks or Boggers just because I know and like how they perform.

Matt

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the goodyears arnt much better but some people swear they are great(moslty cuz they are off hummers). the 46in goodyears arent like the hummer tires there a different tread i belive i could be wrong and if you have a pic of one in specific post a pic and ill be able to tell ya. but im pretty sure there is only 3 tires the military uses. other then the old wierd looking ones i cant remeber the name of. and the hummers are the only ones with that tread pattern and they are only a 37.

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic

This should be the pic of the 48 in goodyear. usa6x6 has them for sale on their website. I would like to run swampers but dont have the cash to do it right now so i am going to sacrifice some performance and use the military tires for now.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You also have to think about wheels. Most all of these surplus tires are for a 20in rim. The cheapest 20in steel beadlock rim I have found is around $300 a piece. Price wise it is really almost even. Pay more for wheels or more for tires. If you can find a really good deal on either don't pass it up.

Matt

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
those tires look like they would do ok, stay away from hummer tires, i got a set and ran them on my 3/4 ton, why? because they were 36'' (not 37") and dirt cheap, how do they perform? like shit....not worth it

no on the rockwells, i say that if you are taking the time, energy and money to put rockwells underneath your truck then it should be 4-linked. ya might as well do it right the first time vs spending money and doing it cheaply only to get sick of it 6 months later and tear it all apart, spend more money and do it again with a 4-link. just my 2 cents worth, after inflation its probaly worth a 1/4 cent.....

do it once! do it right!!

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i havent seen those tires yet but that doesnt mean the military doesnt use them. im gonna have to check our tires i think they are different then those and im pretty sure they are 37s but hell who knows. ill do a little diggin and see what i can find

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
the tire pictured is a 48, I never knew they made them that big either. I might just get a set of stock military rims and tires off a 2 1/2 ton truck, and use those for now. Not the best they would give me a better idea of where everything goes. It will probably take some time to fine tune the suspension and the sterering. I didnt metion it before but i would like to run front and rear hydraulic steering too.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The stock duce and a half wheels are split rim and really junk. You will need to look around, there are a few options. Order wheels to what you need (around $300 a piece). If you can fab, pic up a set of new or used steel wheels/beadlocks, cut out the center and weld in a new center with the Rockwell pattern (about half the price). It will take a lot of tuning and R&D to get the suspension setup. I have a little advantage becuase I've done this before and have the engineering software to do that kind of work without ever turing a wrench. Hydraulic steering is the way to go on these. Beef everything up, 1/4in plate to make the steering brackets and mounts. You have to overbuild with these axles because the will find the weak spots with the rest of the truck.

Matt

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
I wasnt planning on using the stock rims for anything exept pulling in and out of thwe garage. Once i get enough for a set of swampers i will get a good set of beadlock wheels. For the suspension I was thinking of something similar in design to rustys XJ long arm kits.

Although I just found out I will be going overseas with the army early january, so the truck will be sent to my buddies shop for the build. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
whats your mos??? good luck with that i just found out i might not be very far behind you which sucks i was hopeing to start my turbo ranger project but who knows

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals