• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case indicator shows 2H, but I'm still in 4H . . .

bturman

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hi all. I've always come to this site for info on my bronco, and have always found the solution to my problem somewhere on the forum or tech page. However, I'm at a loss and can't seem to find a similar situation . . .

Vehicle info -
1990 Ford Bronco II
4WD, 2.9L, Manual

Issue -
My transfer case indicates that it is in 2H, but appears to be stuck in 4H . . .

I just replaced the electric shift motor today, as the snowy season has arrived in Colorado and I've avoided replacing it for some time. After replacing it, I went for a test drive in the snow. It shifted into 4H perfectly. Then 4L perfectly (stopped, with foot on brake and clutch in). Then back to 4H just fine. When I shifted back into 2H, the lighted indicator on the dash showed that it had gone back into 2H. I backed up about 10 feet to get the hubs to release.

Soon after, I discovered that I was still in 4H. After several forward/backward motions, I was still stuck in 4H, though the dash light indicator showed 2H. I decided to take the electric shift motor off to see what was going on. To my surprise, the motor was functioning perfectly - as indicated on the transfer case, it had turned it back to 2H. BUT . . . I am most definitely still in 4 wheel drive.

Additional observations -
When I back up, there is a single clicking noise from the front end. When I then go forward, there is another single click.

I'd really like to get back to 2 wheel drive. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

bturman

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Driving along last night, I heard (and felt) two moderately loud clunks, about 30 seconds apart. The car is now back in 2WD. What could cause this clunking - the hubs, lack of t-case oil, something else?

WingsOfSaturn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bet you have auto hubs. Try cleaning them up and they MIGHT work(for awhile). Best solution is to switch to manual hubs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals