• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front 4x4 axles

bloydbuckingbulls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I bought a used mazda b4000 4x4 from a kid. I got it for next to nothing. Clutch was out and 4x4 didn't work. Got the clutch fixed. I took the front wheels off and noticed that the axle shaft ends were not sticking out far enough to engage the locking hubs. I purchase the missing washers and half moon retaining clip that fits in the groove of the shaft. I really had to pry on the u joint to get the passenger side to come out far enough to get the clip on. My question is: Is there anything else that keeps those shafts in place? The passenger side washers have broken and the shaft has fallen back inside the hub. There's just too much pressure on it. Are those shafts supposed to be pressed into the back side of the hub? The only thing keeping them in place are those thin little washers and that little clip.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I never was able to get them on my shafts either. There didn't seem to be enough room. I forced them on and the axle shaft spit them off into the hub. So, I left them off and never had a problem yet. I'm interested to see what others have to say about this.

mazdaB4k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
i actually have a similiar problem i replace all my u joints on the axles wheel bearings all that crap and i was wondering about those washers do they go behind the half moon clip or on the hub side? but that is the only thinggs that i can think of that would hold the axxle out

bloydbuckingbulls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
They do go behind it in the order of : the notched one first, the plastic one then the flat one then the retaining clip. I used a pry bar to get it to stick out far enough to get them on. But the first washer broke into pieces and allowed the axle to slide back into the hub. When you buy the set at Ford it comes with a diagram that shows the order they go in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals