• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap estimate

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont mean to be a nuisance but .. i was wounder if anyone could shoot me an outa there ass price for swaping a 2.8 for a 302 NOT including the engine price and or rebuild just the materials to swap , conversion what nots and such

thanks alot guys :)

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are you a good "junkyard dog"........lol.thatll help you alot!you can just buy the stuff you need or dig around for it,the latter will help help your wallet the most.
look in the tech section,you will find alot of info on what you can use.write it all down and start getting prices then you can get an idea of what your cost is going to be.
i've got close to a grand in motor alone...but.....if i would have just orderd everything you could double that.
it just starts with the engine goes to trans.rear end,front end,drive shafts.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That's a really tough one. Are you doing the work or is someone else? There is a shop a little over an hour away that quotes between $5-$10K to do a custom engine swap. That's way too much. If you are doing this really you will only have parts and other materials in the swap. If a shop does it you'll have the $50+ an hour labor on top of that. The other parts depend on if you are using a kit or you search around. Some parts like oil pans, filter kits, mounts, radiator and such will depend a lot on if you buy new or used. New those parts will run you around $600 or so. I know it's not a good answer but really, it depends.

Matt

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you're going to have to decide how you are going about getting parts. like mentioned above.

Convertable mounts 40.00
oil pan, used 25.00
manifolds, used 35.00
radiator 150.00

Swap kit mounts 100.00
swap kit oil pan 135.00
swap kit headers 200.00
swap kit radiator 250.00

all these prices are an estimate. Good luck

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im pretty mechanical person so i think i dont need no expensive shop to do my work for me and i got alota buddies that are willing to led some help and some big time tools if we need em,

haha ya junk yards are my second home so i guess ill have no problume with that, actully my rig was deston for the junk yard but i saved her and fixed it a lil some how the guy that had it before me blew out the reverse gears and the over drive gears in the transmission but all over gears were fine and driveable

its allways bin an idea to swap that junky ole 2.8 outa my bronco II for a nicer more newer,powerfull engine you kno it be kinda nice :)

Thanks alot guys

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume your 2.8 has a 7.5 Rearend. Based on that I guess you need, Open 8.8 Rearend or with Posi-Traction-$300, Used C4(Small Housing) or Manual Tranny,Torques Convertor,Flex Plate-$500,reworked Drive shaft-$100, Shifter - $100, Swap kit including Steel radiator,Tri-Y Headers, Dual sump Pan w/pickup,Steel mounts w/rubber pads, Inverted mechanical or electric Fuel Pump, Oil Filter relocation Kit - $700, and Misc.unknowns- add 20 % min. I would ballpark on the low side at $1500 and go up from there. This is with you and your Freinds doing all the work.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya its a 7.5 and i got the manuel 5 speed overdrive trans..
im guessing the stock rear end wouldnt take the beating the 302 would put on it eh

what about the transfer case? and gear ratios? would the diffrent rear end ratio effect the transdercase and or 4 wheel drive capability's

thanks alot again :)

Last edited:

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am new to the Ranger & Forum and take all my advice with a grain of salt. I am an old Mustang Hotrodder. I didnt realize you were a 4 Wheeler. I was thinking a Draging 2 Wheeler. I dont think your 7.5 will hold up,at least not for long, but have been proven wrong before. You definetly would have to run the same gear ratios in front and back. I know "0" about a four wheel drive. I"ll leave the good advice to the off-roaders.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am new to the Ranger & Forum and take all my advice with a grain of salt. I am an old Mustang Hotrodder. I didnt realize you were a 4 Wheeler. I was thinking a Draging 2 Wheeler. I dont think your 7.5 will hold up,at least not for long, but have been proven wrong before. You definetly would have to run the same gear ratios in front and back. I know "0" about a four wheel drive. I"ll leave the good advice to the off-roaders.

lol its all good man its nice to have advice from both 2 wheel and 4 wheel people its allways fun to learn somthing new :) im fairly new to i guess .. i had an account here before but due to some sertin circumstance i wasnt able to sing on for a long while and my account was deleted to make space im sure

wether its 4 wheel off road or 2 wheel racing if its gota ford under the hood il drool all over it lol

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you don't beat the truck a 7.5 will hold but you can break it. The real worry would be the Dana 28 front axle, it is weak behind a V6. The easy swap for that will be a Dana 35 from a newer Ranger. To be safe start looking around 93 up to 97, 89-92 some have a Dana28/35 hybrid. You will also be able to find a stronger 8.8 rear from the same vehicle. If you use the truck as a commuter and won't beat it you might be able to get by with the stock axles, just keep some spare front shafts incase.

As far a the 4 wheel drive stuff. It is more labor intensive to swap in a fullsize t-case but it will save you a few hundred over buying an adapter kit to use the stock BW1350. From personal experience the NP205 and 208 are the best fits. The 205 will fit with no modifications, you will need to make a support plate to help hold it due to its weight. The downfalls to that case are the weight and poor low range. The 208 is much lighter, better low range bit a little bigger. It will fit but you will have to grind a few tabs off and depending on the engine placement have to grind an edge of the frame, just a little bit; nothing major. Driveshafts will have to be custom.

Matt

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well, for my swap we had nearly everything. For mounts i just used some 1/4 plate, which we had w/ stock 2.8 mounts. i had a c5 so we switched all the good stuff over to a c4 which we had. Drive shafts needed no mods. oil filter adapter was from a swap meet for $25. Had the oil pan, exhaust manifolds. Rest of the exhaust was $60. Radiator was a james duff for $365ish (insane) Transmission dip stick was roughly $50 But i wish i would have thought to just shorten mine to below the a/c box. had all the accessories. Mechanical fuel pump was about $30. Had the engine. Had to buy a dist. gear to convert a roller motor to carbed. $50 (also insane) Already installed a 3 inch body lift for added room about 3 years prior. Cutting the a/c box=free. Plus 2 radiator hoses, i believe upper one was for a '68 mustang. and the bottom for somethin else, maybe $18 for both. so very roughly estimated my swap cost about $600 but on the other hand the stuff we had still cost money to get.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
geeez that sounds like a task in its self..

what vehicle types would i find those two transfer cases maybe i could pull one outa a junk yard ?
what about tranys .. im guessing the one i have now ( witch im not sure what i got ) wouldnt fit

i kno its a 5 speed manuel over drive outa an 86 bronco II

Last edited:

ironman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn, I wish my v-8 swap was only about 600.00 in all those parts im already at 800.00 just in the rearend 8.8.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
damn, I wish my v-8 swap was only about 600.00 in all those parts im already at 800.00 just in the rearend 8.8.
ya im having a feeling if i start this project its not gunna cost me just 600 lol but thats ok do everything a little at a time or what i can afford at a time haha:icon_thumby:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i did....one part at a time.....5 yrs .still not done.lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals