• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual Fuels

willfixx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 1994 Chevy 1 ton Step Van. It has two tanks. One for propane and one for gasoline. There is a high pressure gauge under the hood that is reading zero lbs. The gas gauge was reading more than 3/4 tank full. For my 98 mile trip home the gas gauge did not move so I stopped and got 10 gallons. My question is, will this truck run off propane and gasoline? I did not see any controls in the cab to switch from either. I don't know which fuel I was using. Though the pressure gauge was reading zero perhaps I was still burning propane because the truck would stumble and slow to about 45 mph. It would pick up after a while to 65 mph. If any one knows about this type of setup, please respond. Thanks.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Somewhere in the truck either underhood or behind seat their should be a switch setup to change between fuels. it will be a switch that should be labeled gasoline and lp gas. Before switching between gasoline and lp gas have some lp fuel installed in the propane tank and check for leaks. I would recomend putting in a FEW gallons of propane and not to fill this tank untill you make sure it has no leaks! The person that puts lp fuel should help you determine if it leaks or not! Also they could probally help you determine where the switch, I mentioned earlier, is. I hope this makes sense to you!:D

willfixx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. This is just another project truck that I thought was a good deal to buy. This truck actually uses compressed natural gas. (CNG) I found the switch but it is not labeled, maybe it wore off. I have heard of trucks using butane, propane, etc. but I need specific information on my setup. I'll keep searching and perhaps talking to others until I get the info needed.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I'd have been scared to drive it without researching it.........
was it factory? I've never heard of that (other than in the 60's..... with propane) if so I'd be looking for an owners manual.

If a reputable company did it aftermarket I'd contact them, and if a guy did it in his garage I'd still contact him......... before somebody lights a cigarette beside your rig at the gas station and has a really bad day. (I like the check for leaks idea and change/test gauges idea)

Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals