• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ARGH! Steering wheel is way off...after wreck

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Greetings Folks,

I will try not to whine too much...I promise.

When I drove my truck to the mechanic this morning, the first time I drove it after the wreck, I found that the steering wheel was off by about a full 1/4 turn...what kind of damage is most likely what we are looking at?

Truck was on freeway, went into the center median. It slid almost straight into the cable barrier, the impact slung around so that hubby was facing the wrong direction, and the momentum, cause the front bumper damage. The truck hit hard enough to pop the passenger side front tire off the bead (and flattened it).

The truck seemed to steer pretty normal with a bit of push to the driver's side...but the steering wheel position has me very worried...my mechanic is checking out the power steering pump, as it appeared to be damaged from the impact, as it puked a bunch of fluid out.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? My mechanic is a trusted one, but he is not a 4WD mechanic...

Truck is '91 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0, 5speed manual.

Thanks,
Rhainy

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i know when i got hit, i got hit on my left rear tire and it bent a rear leaf spring hanger. my rear axle was crooked in the truck and made the steering wheel crooked. if you hit a front tire that much you may have bent a tie rod or something similar

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see what it could be other than bent steering linkage.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Whew.. it could be the steering gear box.. The power steering pump would have NOTHING to do with it. It could be a bent linkage, the tie road end, tie rod adjusters, etc.

Mine was hit in the driverside tire and was the exact same way you described. I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering box. Did the alignment myself afterwards.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks folks! My next question is, are these things my mechanic will be able to see visually, or tell when he is under the rig? He is good and I do trust him, just want to have an idea of what to expect.

Also, should I take it to a couple of local *Collision Shops* for a look over??? I hate not knowing what I am doing with this....*huge sigh*

Thanks,
Rhainy

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does your mechanic have frontend alignment equipment? If not then you need to find an alignment shop. Your mechanic should know one to send you to.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you need an alignment.good shops will replace what is broken while they align it.they will also tell you if a frame shop is needed(if the setback is out of spec)

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I agree that the steering linkage is most likely.

But you should check for bent axles arms and especially a bent frame considering this is a collision result.

And I'll bet that wheel shakes like an 8.9 at highway speed.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
from the sound of it I really doubt the frame is bent, but if the signature is correct and the truck is a 1991 then it's atleast possible that the radius arm bracket is bent.

I've bent a couple myself.

Bending the beam? Possible, I've seen it done.

Bending the pivot bracket for the drivers side beam? Yes.

Bent steering linkage? Yeah, possible, but not easy to do.

Dammaged steering box? possible, not likely.

Yes, you need an alignment shop they can usually figuire out what's bent.

AD

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you everyone, I will look into getting it to an allignment shop for sure to be checked. I don't think my mechanic has the equipment for that as he is pretty much a straight forward basics guy, who only does *big stuff* like swaps and such, on his own rigs.

Allan, yes my truck is a '91 Ranger XLT 4wd, 4.0, 5spd. Thanks for the input, I will check out the possibility of the *pivot bracket for the drivers side beam* But, would it be the drivers' side, if the impact was on the passenger side?

Once again you folks simply ROCK! Thanks for all the help and will keep you posted...

Cheers and Happy Holy Days!

Rhainy

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As strange as it sounds, no.

TTB and TIB Fords (which includes yours) have the axle beams cross. The driver's side beam has a pivot bracket on the passenger side, and vice-versa.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks MAKG! I am pretty good with basic mechanics, but this suspension stuff is a bit over my head...but I am learning! ROFL

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, to be fair, TTB suspension makes quite a lot of folks' eyes bug out. Though it's a bit worrisome when those folks work under alignment racks.

The last alignment tech I went to (I'm not going back....) returned my truck saying it was unalignable due to a frozen pinch bolt. I put an 18 inch breaker bar on it and it came right out. He just didn't want to deal with it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
yeah if you aren't familiar with the set up its easy to lose your ass on flat rate aligning one of these trucks.i like to have a couple hours on the weekend for mine to put enough bags of cement in the drivers seat and bed to represent a normal load on the truck and play with different eccentrics until its right were you want it instead of just in the ball park and ship it down the road.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, mechanic is also contracted with local PD and had his hands full the last couple of days...*Sighs* But he's promised to get her up on the rack and take a look at what's up...first thing in the morning.

Saying lots of prayers and sacrificing fuel, grease and various nutz n boltz to the Ranger Gods....:woot:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals