• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger / Explorer 8.8 Rear Eng Swap Kit

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone make a Bolt-in Kit to Swap an Explorer 8.8 Rear End in place of the stock Ranger Rear End ? I know a lot of people modify the Explorer to fit but its a little trouble to figure out what must be done. Then you have to buy the Spring Saddle Brackets, Shock Mounting Brackets , and then find a Welding shop that you can afford. If their is any interest I would like to develope the kit. Hubert Craver

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a lot of people do the swap but I think for 95% looking for a better rear end, the stock 8.8 Ranger rear is fine. Fits with no proplems and can take a lot of HP.
Mac

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I cant seem to find an 8.8 for my 93 Ranger, but have found a bunch (over 3 ) of local Explorer's with Posi. Units on Cragslist. I am building a 331 stroker and want to do a little Draging. I want to be sure I dont drop an axle. HJC Clemmons, NC

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
where are you? i plan on putting an explorer 8.8 in soon. i have a stock 28 spline 8.8 with a LS and 3.73s if your interested. if you are it will give me a reason to swap it sooner.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone make a Bolt-in Kit to Swap an Explorer 8.8 Rear End in place of the stock Ranger Rear End ? I know a lot of people modify the Explorer to fit but its a little trouble to figure out what must be done. Then you have to buy the Spring Saddle Brackets, Shock Mounting Brackets , and then find a Welding shop that you can afford. If their is any interest I would like to develope the kit. Hubert Craver
How would you do a bolt on kit for an Explorer 8.8 swap? Spring saddles are upside down, shock brackets have to be welded. At the very least you can mount it as is and lower the truck rear, but then you'll have to do the front. No matter what, you still have to do some mods to bolt it in.

stranger

Reaction score
or get a rear out of a ranger fx4.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you want to do an Explorer axle with no welding then you will need to buy an axle flip kit. You can find them in pretty much any high performace catalog. Even if you can't weld it will not be that expensive to get the mounts moved. New spring mounts are like $13 from Jegs, if you are careful with a cut off wheel you could save the shock mounts, or just order a few metal tabs and make a new mount. If you have a cut off wheel and a grinder you will be able to remove the old mounts and prep the tubes at home. A shop won't charge very much to lay a few beads if the prep work is all done. You are building a 331, what tire size are you using? A Ranger 8.8 would be fine pretty much is stock form. You might want to add a cover with bearing cap preloads if you are really worried about it. I have a healthy 396W and 35in tires on a Ranger 28 spline; I've beat the truck quite a few times and haven't broke yet. Unless you are after disc brakes there is nothing wrong with the Ranger 8.8.

Matt

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hubert, did a quick check on car-part.com and found these down somewhat near you. These are the later models that are 1 1/2" overall wider but then would have lower miles on them. Searched for a 4.10 gear and the 10" brakes.
Mac - hope this helps you find what you need!

Rear Axle
Ford Ranger 8.8,4.10L,ABS,FX4,LEVEL II. 52,492 A 075690 $Call McLambs Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-NC(Fayetteville) E-mail 1-800-682-5238
Rear Axle
Ford Ranger 06/03,4.0,A,XLT,V333 L/LOCKER 81,772 B B78137 $650 Lewisville Motor Company USA-NC(Winston-Salem) E-mail 1-800-722-6711
Rear Axle
Ford Ranger -8.8" RING GEAR, 10" BR, 4.10 RATIO, FX 39,000 R71522 $550.26 LKQ Salisbury USA-NC(Salisbury) E-mail 1-800-422-0348
Rear Axle
Ford Ranger 47,000 L20518 $550 Foss Auto Recycling Lagrange - PRP, PRP-MA USA-NC(LaGrange) Request_Quote 1-800-617-5460 Request_Insurance_Quote

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for Information

I appreciate all the previous answers and hope to get more responses. Thanks for your input. Hubert

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
'93 was the first year for the wider Ranger rear axle, so the newer rears won't change how the tires sit in the wheelwell. The Explorer rear will set the tires out 3/4" each side.

Check out http://www.bayauto.com/ . They have an 8.8 from a '01 Ranger with 4.10 gears, 10" brakes, and traction lock for about $385 shipped to your door. I bought one from them for $265 (I live closer) and the only thing it needed was new brakes and one drum.

Greg

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
its not hard or expensive to do a weld on spring perch and make ur own shock mounts. i think it took me and a buddy 3hrs to do mine

svtranger24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
When I did my swap I just reversed the left and right side shock mounts from the explorer and it seamed to work fine.

Last edited:

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great Bunch of Guys

projectnitemare,Mac & 281Ranger , Mac's idea to use the website www.car-part.com hit a home run. I searched for a Ranger 8.8 and found no less than(75) Rears , Posis,Opens, etc within about 75 miles. Prices begin at around $150.00 and up . I never seen so many choices of parts in my life.
pineypower1186 & svtranger24 , Wow, thats some great picturers and really shows good details on whats going on.Looks professional and the Workmanship is 1st Class.My preference is the Explorer w/31 splines which may be the Right Way to go.
v-8 power, Thanks for the info.on how to install a 351W. I read everwhere it wouldnt fit easily . The Total Performance mounts and headers you used were just a walk in the park and what I wanted to here about.
I didnt realize a 351W would fit that easily and since I already have a 393 Stroker kit I'll seriously consider that. Thanks to everyone who posted and I have learned a lot. Please keep the post coming.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals