• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cant get my speedo to work?

low life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 97' ranger with a 4 banger and a 5 speed manual. I knew when I purchased it the speedo didnt work. I figured it be a easy fix, was I wrong. I replaced the head and the speed sensor on the rear end. Still does'nt work. The parts guys at ford say that this is the only speed sensor on the truck. Also the check engine light is on with a speed sensor faliure code. When I have my scan tool hooked up to live data it can't scense speed either. Is there a different speed sensor on the tranny? Or is there a magnet on the ring gear that can fail or fall off? Please help.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a good wiring diagram that shows the circuitry between the sensor and the ccm?

low life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
No i dont. I am confused as to whether or not there is another speed sensor on the tranny???

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is that where the sensor is? On the rear end? If so then I would suspect a corroded/faulty/broken wire or connection leading from the sensor forward to the ccm. Follow the sensor wire forward and check for continuity at the next connector.

I have a few annoying little electrical problems with my 97 so I sprung the $12-$13 and download a complete set of wiring diagrams for 97 ranger from these guys http://www.ahdol.com/. So far it has been well worth the money. I will check my diagrams for your sensor circuits.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does your vehicle have cruise control? Where was the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located (the one you replaced)?

low life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
No I dont have cruise. The speed sensor
I replaced was on the rearend.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The wiring diagram I have for the 97 states that the vss is on the left rear of the trans/transfercase. But if yours is on the rear end, that is probably the only one on the vehicle. It shows that the vss grounds through the pnk/org wire. The signal goes directly to the speedo through the gry/blk wire. When I say directly, I mean the signal does not have to go through a module first. However, there are three connectors between the vss and the speedo. The vss should have 1.4K ohms.

I don't think the magnet is an issue.

I think the important thing here is that the diagnostic device is not detecting the vss. That means there is no continuity. Make sure the vss has a good ground. Check for continuity between the pnk/org wire and the frame. The wiring diag says the pnk/org wire grounds at the (center of the left fender apron). If there is no continuity, take care of that. If there is continuity, get back to me and I will try to get the wiring diag to you via email. I tried uploading the diagram to this forum but the board has no utility to do it (I think).

Last edited:

eli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the vss on the diff is for the rabs abs sensor and not for speedo the speedo should be on the left top rear of the tranny check that sensor

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
Ive read of guys cleaning up the connection under the drivers seat, and that solving the issue....

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the vss on the diff is for the rabs abs sensor and not for speedo the speedo should be on the left top rear of the tranny check that sensor
I have just checked the wiring diag for the RABS and you are correct. The one on the diff is for the RABS. It does not apppear to play a role with the speedo. RABS sensor has LT GRN/BLK and RD/PNK wires.

Ooops, maybe parts guy sold the wrong part.:fie:

low life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the help!! Turned out to be some wires had been pulled apart under the truck. Previous owner must have liked plow corn with it.:buttkick: Some peoples kids??

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Just FYI:

GLAD you found & fixed your problem, just wanted to pass on some info for others not so fortunate to find theirs.

The speedo is electronic & reads off the exciter ring on the ring gear.

We sell alotta those for Rangers & Explorers.............

We had to replace the one on my Son's DD 99 Ranger, as his speedo quit workin, replaced that, and has worked fine since...........

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals