• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93/94 rangers vs 95 and up

Shrek666

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I just joined this site and after poking around for awhile I keep noticing that the 93 and 94 rangers keep getting grouped with 95, 96, 97. This is a major problem. In 93 ford redesign the ranger in all models and then in 95 changed everything again. Some of you might know this but when you try buy parts most of the stuff for a 95 wont fit on a 94

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What won't fit? When I bought my truck it was wrecked, it hit a deer at 60 mph. Mine is a 93, I bought a 97 without a motor or tranny, and I swapped everything over. I even upgraded the brakes from the single piston, slider calipers to the twin piston bolt on set up. The dashes are different as well as the steering shafts, but everything is interchangeable.

93greenbomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just because a parts store says its a different part number doesn't mean it wont work, or is even any different at all. remember if it looks the same smells the same and bolts on the same guess what its the same!

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what changed in 93 was the body style. This affected wiring layouts, grill/lights/windows, etc. In 95 however there was a much heavier impact when the obd1 diagnostics system that was in 94 and before, changed to obd2. Then there was also the interior and all. But then in 98 when they had another 'overhaul' some things didn't even change then. Such as the bed, tailight mounting, etc. I could go on and list about 95% of these kinda things off the top of my head but I have niether the time nor the energy. Have a look around this site for a couple months, that and actually tearing parts off trucks are pretty much the only ways to know if something will/might with a little persuasion/won't fit on other model years.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
welcome to TRS Shrek666, i consider 93-94 to be their own little group because they are different, but they are still GEN III trucks, so thats why theyre listed with 95,96,97 (gen III 93-97, despite the differences in OBDI and OBDII).

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What changed between 93' and 94' on the body? The grill? Maybe?

Engine wise, a few things like EGR were added, mostly emissions. Some Manifolds were changed, and the fuel system lines on the 3L. A change from R-12 to R134A refrigerant? Not much there.

The main differences between a 93-94' and 95'-97' Gen III's are:
1). a switch from EEC-IV to EEC-V(witch called for different wiring routing, placement and design of things like the overflow tank, etc, and emissions equipment)
2).the dash/trim/door cards, and HVAC systems(so the bulkhead of the cap is "slightly" different)
3).grill
4).wheels(style)
5).the front beams got reinforced with more welds and more material at the lower ball joint
6). better dual piston caliper front brakes
7). exhaust changed a little (flanges between the y-pipe and cat) & some manifolds were revised.
8). I think they revised the carrier bearing design a little(but that may have happened halfway through 94')
9). the master cylinders are different(but can be swapped between)
10). the cruise control setup is different
11). they changed how the clutch master was mounted (actually on the bracket, and not through the firewall)
12). ignition systems where upgraded from TFI to EDIS on the 3L, and from DIS to EDIS on the 2.3's
13). power options were alot more common
14). and ABS and airbags became standard
15). auto transmissions became computer controlled
16) Speedometer read off a sensor at the t-case rather than a cable.
17) They changed how the radiator was mounted.
18). Core support may be a bit different.......
19). Overflow Tank
20). Air Intake, and filter
21). Plastic Intake and combustion chamber design on the 4L
22). Heads reworked on the 2.3(intake too)
23). Batch fire to actual SFI. (which led to the crappy CMPS on the 3L)
24). How the wiper blades attach are slightly different, so is the motor that powers them.
25). ?Fuel pumps?, fuel lines/fuel rails(returnless), injectors changed, EVAP system.

Did I miss anything????

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals