• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gauges dead in 92 Ranger

LonesomeRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone, I am new here and just got my Ranger. I wasn't sure if I would like it and basically needed cheap transportation and my choices were very limited. She has grown on me and I want to get her into tip top shape. I have a problem I can't figure out: My dash lights died recently. I picked up some fuses and went to replace the faulty one. I couldn't find any blown. Then I noticed that the gauges on the instrument cluster don't work except for the speedometer which is cable driven. The truck runs fine, everything works, just no gauges or dash lights. I checked the fuses under the hood near the battery, they all are good. I took the dash and steering column apart looking for a pinched wire or something shorting out. Nothing there. I just bought this truck and know nothing about it. When they worked, the dash lights were set to pretty dim and I turned the switch to brighten them. I also used the dimmer switch for the headlights around the time of failure. I was sure the problem was related to the ignition switch and replaced it with no change. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? The more I think about it, the dash died when I flashed my high beams, I think :dntknw: . Could the problem be in the switch? I bought a Haynes manual but the wiring diagrams have been less than helpful. Thanks.

LonesomeRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, I gave up and took it to a shop. The dash lights were out due to a faulty headlight switch. The gauges died because of a short. The oil level sensor wire had a bare spot in the wiring and was grounding out against the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals