• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck has gremlins!

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Purchased a 2001 Ranger XLT standard cab last week, 2.5 and 5 spd manual transmission. Has 170k miles on it. Has starting and running issues, did some checking and the fuel pump was getting signal and not coming on, replaced it and it started right up. No check engine light but it was running like ass and likes to stall every time you come to a stop. Changed plugs and wires/oil as I like to make sure the routine maintenance is fine on every car I own. Still runs like ass, no power like you are accelerating through jello, still no codes and no wierd smoke or noises aside from a noisy power steering pump. Local garage says the cat is plugged so I pulled it and ran a snake camera to the cat on both sides and I see no debris or signs of damage to the honeycomb on the inside. So I am starting to think the computer is wacked so I pull the IAC while the motor is running, does not stall or throw a code, then I get more serious and pull the mass air connector while it is running, no codes and it does not stall!

There are reciepts in the glovebox for virtually every sensor this truck has being replaced within the last 6 months and two garages failed to fix it hence me getting it cheaply. I'd like to run it a few months if possible and then either replace the motor with another 2.5 or do a V8 conversion, either way I need time. What do you think? screwed up computer or have I missed something?

thanks

Matt

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A few thoughts. Did you run injector cleaner thru it? have you ever checked the fuel pressre? Have you changed the fuel filter? Air filter? Did you change the fuel pressure regulater when you changed FP? I think your ignition module is part of the pcm but I am not positive

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should also pull the iacv off and clean it out. Clean the throotle body, butterfly valve and linkage

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump and filter are new, have not changed the air filter yet. I did put a can of seafoam in the tank and ran one through the topend of the motor, did not get much smoke after it sat hot for 20 minutes then I drove it. Also realized I made a small boo-boo, the truck may be 2000 not a 2001, was made 11/2000 but title says 2001 so is this the right forum?

Did not change the FPR as it did not appear to have issues, I'll look at that. Do not have the tool to check the fuel pressure but I assumed(possibly a bad word there) that with a new pump it would be ok.

thanks

Matt

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your air filter is dirty I would replace it. There also is a mod that is easy to do you pull the plastic scoop off the front of the airbox. I also would see if you can check the fuel pressure. The regulater can go bad. Run injector cleaner also. Is there a receipt for a new iacv. You sound very knowledgable so I am sure you actually checked for codes and not just looked for the cel. When you go to start the truck you see the cel for a few seconds right?

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, when you turn the ignition switch the CEL lights, first thing I checked, and we ran it on my friends snap-on scanner, no codes. Thats why I was trying to force a code. I'll take care of the air filter later today as it does not look so good. I have almost no experience with trucks, lots with mustangs and am building a fairmont race car slowly atm. Need to finish up electric fan wiring on my mustang so I can sell it, my wife gets grouchy if I have to many project cars.....

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you said a lot of sensors have been changed so assuming the iacv is new and the maf is cleaned/new. new pcv vlave and you checked for a lose broken hoses and or vacuum leaks. thats all i got for now. I am sure you did the oil change after you added the seafoam to the crankcase. you dont want that stuff in the crankcase for to long.......keep us posted

Last edited:

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Changed air filter, clean TB, verified CAT with a scope, had it on a modus scanner today and everything is working, disconnecting the mass air shows immediatly in the scanner but not the SES light.

Got to admit I'm stumped on this one. Still want to change fuel filter and verify timing has not jumped...

Matt

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I've checked it all and it is still fubar, I may have to take it to the local efi Ford guru and see what he comes up with.

I'll post whatever his findings are when I get them.

Matt

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I get dizzy rereading these things. Did you do a fuel pressure test.....local efi Ford guru ,,,,,,,,,,,you mean the stealership........goodluck

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pressure is good, replaced filter just in case, did air filter as well, pulled ecu to make sure there was no crud on any of the pins, no codes no problems and it still runs like ass. We even ran a smoke machine, no leaks. So I cannot find an issue wth spark air or fuel. I can admit it, I'm out of ideas aside from throwing parts at it which I refuse to do.

I don't like dealerships much, there is a first rate shop in town run by a friend who is addicted to mustangs and racing (not a bad thing) and he is very good with all thing Ford and fuel injected. If he strikes out, I'll step up my explorer motor hunt.....

Matt

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fuel pressure is good, replaced filter just in case, did air filter as well, pulled ecu to make sure there was no crud on any of the pins, no codes no problems and it still runs like ass. We even ran a smoke machine, no leaks. So I cannot find an issue wth spark air or fuel. I can admit it, I'm out of ideas aside from throwing parts at it which I refuse to do.

I don't like dealerships much, there is a first rate shop in town run by a friend who is addicted to mustangs and racing (not a bad thing) and he is very good with all thing Ford and fuel injected. If he strikes out, I'll step up my explorer motor hunt.....

Matt
what was the fuel pressure koeo koer

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't recall the exact number but well within spec, I was behind the wheel, my mechanic friend was under the hood with the guage. Looks like the local Ford guru will take a crack at it tomorrow, I'll post the results when I get them. Never managed to take it for a ride with a guage on it to see if when it dies it goes super lean but I would hope that would cause a code in the scanner.

Matt

irish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thought I'd update this:

My little truck turned out to have three problems:

First one that I caught and fixed - weak fuel pump

Second I missed - intermittant spark from one coil

Last and most troublesome it has either a cracked head or a bad head gasket, I'm thinking cracked head, here's the scoop. Truck runs perfect, passes a compression test, shut it off hot and wait 5 minutes and it starts HARD and runs like crap for a couple minutes, then it clears up and runs perfectly again for as long as you want.

I have priced out a rebuilt head for 325, and a company using new casting and stock valvetrain parts for 350 and I'm thinking that might be a good way to go.

How bad is the head swap on these 2.5s? I do plan on water pump and timing belt while I'm in there.

Matt

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
for what it is worth someone posted this on another site this morning. I know nothing about the company

Cylinder Heads International out of Texas. I got one from there awhile back and was not disappointed. Free shipping, no upfront core charge as long as you send back your cracked head (with their free return shipping), and a 1 year warranty. Should cost $275-$300.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals