• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

down on power/misfire

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here goes my first post! I changed my plugs and wires and it ran worse after I finished. Didn't run on all cylinders so I figured I had the firing order wrong but I didn't. Started up and ran but misfired a little. I drove it down the street and went back to running horrible, then cleaned up. It has missed at idle and seems to have been down on power for a while now, which is what got me to change the plugs and wires in the first place. It feels sluggish, especially at low rpms. My girlfriend is getting me a code scanner for xmas and I can't wait to see if there is anything hiding in there. By the way, does anybody have a tip for taking of plug wires without busting the insides of the boots? I didn't buy the cheap ones and the part that holds on to the plug wants to stay on there when I pull it off. Thanks!

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops, I forgot to mention that I have a '98 2WD with the 2.5

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Welcome to the board!

My first thought is that either one or some of the boots are not fully on the plugs, or some of the wires got crossed. (this is why I only change one plug and wire at a time.) Good luck!

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I started to check them on the passenger (easy) side and that's when they started breaking. Do you think I can bring them back to the store? I will probably be buying factory wires from now on. The greese that comes with them is just to protect against corrosion from rust and arching right? Also, The lengths of the wires I bought were not exactly the same as the ones that were on there so I put them on as best as they fit. Will this make any difference?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
to remove an ignition wire from a plug, twist a few times to lossen things. Dielectric grease is used to ease removal as well as help with what was mantioned.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I'm kind of in the middle of moving now but soon I will be all set up so I will have a change to dig into this a little more. I'll keep you posted.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just changed the orignal plugs out of my '95..120,240 miles i'll admit i bought this truck used from an auction and know nothing about previous matance (or lac there of)
any how i had simular problems in how the truck was running that you describe. apon checking i had pulled the rubber out of a plug socket on one side took that off the plug and it ran a little better but started acting up again. so i got to looking and had somehow cought the wire for the fuel injector with the plug socket on the intake side{i didn't pull the intake off to change plugs} put it back on and wow what a diffrence new plugs made..........hope this helps,,,,,white 95

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey White, are you saying that you crossed a wire somewhere or that your injector wire came off by accident? I'll have to check these things too, I never thought to check the injector wires yet. We are getting pummeled with snow here, I can't wait to get a garage!

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
booncha 57 , actually i think the back side of the plug socket cought the eletrical conector on the injector and pulled off {i'm guessing here} all i know it came unpluged while changing plugs it was the one on number 4 on mine the one on the verry back hard to see and a major pia to put back on....hope you find your problem keep us posted,
white 95 ::::::::::::::merry christmas to all that read this:::::::::

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright my friend, I'll add that to the list of things to check and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals