• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

finally got my tow rig done!

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well i bought this truck last july for 4000$ had a little over 180,000 on it. after working on it for the past few months like crazy i finally got it done.

its a 95' chevy K2500 silverado
6.5L diesel auto 4x4
with a whole lot of engine goodies.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
So when you gonna get an ATT Turbo, a DB4 injector pump, Duramax Lift pump, the Heath cooling upgrade, and an Optimizer block?

and whats a Health diesel chip? or is that Heath......

thats a nice looking Chevy ........ The GMT-400 has got to be my third favorite body style in a pick up truck ever ...... the 79 F-series being my absolute favorite and the 89-91 R and V series 3500, Blazer, Suburbans being the second.

Last edited:

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sorry heath little typo there thanks for pointing it out. the only other thing i would like to get would be the cooling upgrade and a deeper trans pan. heat is my issue not while towing up long grades at low speed. and a buddy of mine who is a 6.5 guru said i could bolt a turbo off of a cummins on to it i forget what model it was tho.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that body style is much more slick than the earlier one. I had them at the same time and they did a lot in '88 to reduce frontal area and it still looks massive until you park it side by side with an older one. My '90 got 26mpg @70mph with a 6.2 Banks, 700R4 and 3.42s. My current truck gets about 20mpg at 60 and then heads for the toilet past that. I also like the low cut of the front windows in those. Much more visability.

Do you have an EGT gauge? I wouldn't swap the turbo out. The Cummins has about 17-1 compression compared to your 21-1 and it can stand a lot more boost. There are 6.5s that run 25psi boost, but they have 17-1 pistons and aftercoolers. The turbo you have is small for a reason. The last thing you want to do with one of these is pretend it's something that it's not. It is a great motor, but it should be run within its limits.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
sorry heath little typo there thanks for pointing it out. the only other thing i would like to get would be the cooling upgrade and a deeper trans pan. heat is my issue not while towing up long grades at low speed. and a buddy of mine who is a 6.5 guru said i could bolt a turbo off of a cummins on to it i forget what model it was tho.
thats Cummins turbo is still being experimented with..... mainly for drag racing and sled pulling........

do a search for ATT turbo ....... its non-wasted gated and it is the turbo that these engines should have come with from Detroit........ for the ATT and the custom down pipe specifically designed for it will set you back about $750..... 2/3 of the price of a new GM8 (last turbo built for the 6.5)

42 page thread on the A-Team Turbo

Feed the Beast mod. This will increase your fuel supply...... both of these compliment the heath chip rather well..... specially with those hi-pop Marine injectors......

you should also get a Boost, EGT, and a fuel pressure gauge. there is another mod that is a good idea ........ your Lift pump gets it's power from your Oil Pressure sending unit ....... you should use a relay to power your lift pump that is triggered by the opsu ........ when my lift pump died, I replaced it with the LP from a 93 ....... the '93 flows at a higher volume at the same PSI..... some have used a Duramax LP.....

PS ...... all the heath cooling upgrade is is a 130 gph pump with a spin fan clutch, D-max fan, and a reducer in the thermostat by-pass ........ you could get the water pump and fan clutch from a 99-2000 6.5TD and do the same thing........

Last edited:

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i thought the upgrade was a new pump dual thermostat manifold and dmax fan and the way they mad it sound you needed an adapter plate to put the pump on.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
the Dual is the upgrade to the 93-96 cooling system but is overkill with the 97-2001 130gph water pump....... the single works great with the high volume water pump and a 190/195 stat.......

if you already have the dual then run that but if you don't then the single works fine with the other system upgrades.

the adapter plate is for the D-max fan with the older style (bolt on) fan clutch..... you do not need an adapter to put the High Volume pump on a 6.5 timing cover because it never changed from 1992 - ???????? it is still being produced by GEP.

you should check out the 6.5 tech section at www.thetruckstop.com about cleaning your radiator.......

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude, don't do all of this shit. This is how to make yourself unhappy. This is how to create another 6.2/6.5 hater. Just enjoy your damn truck.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
oh i hate it already sometimes. lol. im really mad now cuase i just replaced to water pump 3 weeks ago. oh and you link doesnt work

Last edited:

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok i really hate it now. my gift today was 2 cracked heads oh ya!

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ya but the good news is i found out its not the original engine for the truck its a Gm goodwrewnch crate with very low miles.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how is that good news??? haha

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
So, is it covered under warranty or something? And I don't know what those trucks go for around your place but a 95 3/4 ton with 180k on it, 4,000 sounds like a pretty steep price to me. o_O

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
heads .... $670 shipped to your door from Clearwater Cylinder Head ........ plus they pay the return for the cores.....

the only ship the latest casting .....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals