• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'00 ranger head unit caused massive problems GEM???

skiendog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
stereo head unit swap in 2000 ranger. new head unit is 4yo kenwood (50watts/channel). problems started...

head unit loosing power...speedometer went out....turn signals went....power windows failed...over drive shut off...transmission lost gears and went into neutral...everything. But, as soon as the power returned to the head unit, all was fine!

Problem sourcing directed us to the GEM, General Electronic Module. Perhaps the head unit was too powerful? The GEM head unit channel couldn't take the extra load? Anotrher question, i recently found out that a lot of the fuses were wrong when the truck was purchased (second hand). original owner was a nut case. Does anyone have a correct fuse diagram?

Please help!!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The owners manual will have a diagram of all the fuse boxes and the correct size fuses.

skiendog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the original manual did not come with the truck when purchased.

:(

skiendog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
anybody? please? help would be greatly appreciated!

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual

NcRanger

Reaction score
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319 check out this thread. just hit the log in button.

what you are describing sounds like a bad or loose ground wire somewhere. a loose ground can make some really crazy stuff happen.
i agree on the ground... but some REALLY crazy stuff is one day at my buddies stereo shop a guy brought in a 2000 ranger that the radio harness had been cut. So in the process of identify'n the wires we stumbled across to wires that would make the starter kick over... i dont remember the colors but i just thought it was funny that the truck could b kicked over with the radio harness... we never held it long enough to let it try to start just bumped it on accident

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals