• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1354 electric to 1350 manual

evan61

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was reading on a previous thread that you can swap a 1354 electric for a older 1350 manual. everything should bolt in okay except change where the rear drive shaft bolts up to and then the major problem is the front shaft will have to be shortened, right ?? Trying to find a low priced manual 1354 is proving to be almost impossible, but I do have plenty of 1350's and linkage laying around. Anybody do this swap before ???

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i have.

on a stock vehicle (bigger tires dont count as a mod.), the swap is 100% bolt in. the rear driveline bolts onto the 1350 case with no problems (how could you change where it bolts up?), and the front drive line will not bottom out under full flex.

if you have modified your suspension in any way to increase flex, you will need to shorten the front drive shaft...unless, perhaps, you have a suspension lift. this might account for the longer shaft (this would have to be verified by someone thats tried it, as my suspension is stock).

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The rear driveshaft will be fine unless you get a case from a 2001 and newer truck which uses a bigger mounting 'plate' for the rear output of the transfer case.

The front driveshaft is going to be the issue. The 1350's had a slip yoke type front output shaft where as the 1354's had a u-joint, and the late model trucks had a rapezza (sp?) joint which is similar to a CV joint.

Therefore you will need the front driveshaft off the donor truck to make it a complete bolt in.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have done it on a 94 with a 88 t-case the only changes you will have to make is the rear yoke on the t-case the 1350 has a universal at the rear held on by a 30mm locknut the 1354 has a flat flange with the same size nut just remove and swap. the fron drive shaft will work off the donor truck if the universals match. The 80's model trucks had both 2 3/4" and 3 1/2" universals newer model trucks have the 3 1/2"universal. to put the drive shaft in on the front you must jack the truck up by the front of the driver side of the axle put the slip in the t-case first then put the front universal into the axle universal and bolt down. It took me about 3 hours to do the whole swap. It should only take 2 if you dont run into any problems

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
The rear driveshaft will be fine unless you get a case from a 2001 and newer truck which uses a bigger mounting 'plate' for the rear output of the transfer case.
a case out of an 01+ would be a 1354...

evan61

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the trouble I'm having. My Ranger is a 91 SC 4x4 with a 4.0 in it. I got a 1350 transfer case bolted in place of the electric 1354 right now, it bolted in okay. My trouble is now I will have to shorten the drive shaft in front, not that big of a deal, but the shift linkage from the 1350 won't work. I believe it's got a Mazda M50D-R1 in it, right ? That's what the tech library said. Any solutions to this problem ??? I'm beginning to think it's almost easier to fix the electric or find a 1354 case for it. Any help would be much appreciated !!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, some 1350s came behind M5ODs. Though that's a rare combination; most M5ODs were on 4bangers, and 4bangers were usually 2WD. Most V6s had Mitsubishi transmissions, though there were some 1988+ 2.9Ls with M5ODs.

So, in addition to finding a rare combination, you also have to find one that's manual so you can get the shifter. But it does exist.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
evan, Where are you located? I'm in south central Pa. and have a 13-54 manual with correct shifter and a manual boot and plate. $200 picked up, or plus actual shipping w/o a charge for crating. This case was behind a running 93 4.0L Ranger with M5OD R-1 trans and 86,000 miles on the clock. Ball's in your court.:3gears:

evan61

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cocasranger,
I just may take you up on the offer, I may have one located in a junk yard. They said it would be a day before they got back to me. If that one doesn't pan out I'll take yours for sure, not easy to find one........ I'm from Wisconsin, it'll have to be shipped to 54015 zip. I'll pm you for sure and let you know one way or the other. I appreciate your offer !!

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have done this and had to jack up the truck by the frame to let the front axle drop far enough to easily put the drive shaft in place and bolt it in. Put the slip into the transfercase first then to the front axle. i havent had any problems after doing this.

evan61

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cocosranger.......
I will take that transfer case you have. I need to talk with you, sent you a pm

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
evean61, I'll be in touch shortly and we will work out the details.

evan61

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Cocoasranger !!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals