• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ubuntu o/p

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay so awhile back i put ubuntu operating system on my hp dv2000 laptop in replace of the ever hated windows vista. ubuntu was new and i had heard good things about it.

turns out ubuntu isnt very user friendly. so now i am trying to take ubuntu off the computer and replace it with vista. vista is the only cd that i have, and i just want ubuntu gone.

only problem is when i put in the vista cd, the archive manager comes up and says abunch of bs that im not understanding. which basicly means its not a readable file type.

i have searched on the ubuntu forums and there are explanations that explain what to do, but none of it seems to work for me or i am not understanding it. i have thaught about using the disk usage tool to delete part of my drive but i have no cd's to back ne thing up with. and i dont wanna end up with a computer where i cant put nothing on it after i delete the drive.

the only reason i wanna get rid of ubuntu is because it makes downloading alot of stuff difficult. going to the synpatic package manager can be a pain sometimes, but most things i download i cant find in the synaptic package manager. for my nephew i tryed to download swiftkit, a deal for the online game "runescape" but i could not find it in the package manager

i have abit of computer junky in me and with little clear explanations i can do most of what u tell me. plz help me put vista back on my computer ty!

Last edited:

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
put the cd in... turn off your computer... turn on the computer as soon as the first screen comes up hit F2 or F12 scroll through the options until you come to the screen that says boot options.. now scroll down on to CD drive and take it to the top.. that will make the CD boot first which will allow you to re-install vista.. when install is complete you can do the same thing and make your hard drive the first on the list and your done.. i just had to do this with windows 7 cause my lap top got a virus... and if you want to wipe your hard drive which you will loose everything do a custom install on vista and you can do that it explains it but i dont think youll want to do that

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
If you can't back up things you want to save, don't install another OS. Installing a Windows OS (when coming from Ubuntu) will wipe the partition. Since you haven't said anything about a second partition, I expect everything to be deleted.
Your question doesn't indicate a whole lot of knowledge about computers, so creating a second partition is out of the question. Get some knowledgeable person to physically help (before you lose data).

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
k so i did like u said. and it was all goin great then it wont let me install it because there 0 space on a drive partition that has 293 gigs free. and 0 space on other partition that has 9 gigs free.

i downloaded gparted to partition my drive, but when i try to partition it into ntfs, it wont give me that option, and i dont have a ubuntu disk on hand.

so, what now?

Last edited:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
k so i did like u said. and it was all goin great then it wont let me install it because there 0 space on a drive partition that has 293 gigs free. and 0 space on other partition that has 9 gigs free.

i downloaded gparted to partition my drive, but when i try to partition it into ntfs, it wont give me that option, and i dont have a ubuntu disk on hand.

so, what now?
How can there be zero space and 293GB free at the same time? :icon_confused:

I don't know why you can't format a partition to the NTFS file system. I use the free Easus partition program for such tasks, it's really user friendly software. But I'm not sure if using a different partitioning program would be the answer if the one you're using isn't letting you do what you want to do.

But you do definitely want it in NTFS and not FAT/FAT32.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure about Vista, but the XP disc had a utility called "fdisk" that you could use to partition and format the hard-drive pre-install. See if you can boot from your disc, and find that utility.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you might have to delete a partition i had to when i installed 7

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your 293gig partition is probably your linux partition which window's doesn't know how to read. You will probably have to remove the partition and create a new one that windows can use. Linux uses uses ext2/ext3/reiserfs or something similiar and windows vista will want to use NTFS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals