• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help!

Nick808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'm trying to replace the clutch in a 97 3.0L V6. I have the transmission completely detached from the truck, but I can't get it out. no clearance between the cross member and the underside of the floor. Do i need to pop the rivets and remove the front cross member or is there something i'm missing? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

wanebell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Nick;

Are you sure that you have the transmission completely unbolted? There are six bolts holding the transmission to the engine block. There are also two bolts fastening the transmission to the transmission support member.

Did you remove the exhaust crossover pipe? The front of the transmission will not fit between the bottom of the doghouse, ( the indentation in the firewall), and the crossover pipe. Have you removed the transmission support member? The rear of the transmission needs to drop a little to get the front of the transmission to pass between the doghouse and the crossmember.

Also, your transmission input shaft may be in a bind. Have you supported the rear of the engine with a jack? If you haven't, do it now. Try raising and/or lowering the rear of the engine slightly and see the transmission will slide out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals