• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 4.0 Ranger chirping/squealing

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've had my 1996 4.0L V6 for four years and no problems, but about 2 months ago it started making this chirping noise which to me sounded just like a belt going out; it was right after i had my oil changed. It makes this noise in park or when driving. So I replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler, with all brand new. Still made the same noise. So I took it to the mechanic and we kicked the tires for a while and he said the bearings were going on the alternator or the waterpump. I let him replace the waterpump and flush the coolant and it was still making the noise. So i replaced the alternator, and still now luck. So now I actually started hunting this noise down, and I find it is louded under my truck, I'm guessing around the tranny.

So I replaced the automatic transmission filter, the gasket, cleaned up the pan and the magnet and put in good new ATF. Still doesnt fix it.

Okay, so it only makes this noise at lower RPM (under 2k) and usually only when idling, and even this it is intermittent. It is very audible when it does make it though. if i rev the engine and then let it back down to idle it usually goes away for a while. I have not experienced any performace changes. no odd smells, and all fluids are holding.

Any Ideas? I'm going to college in three days, do you guys think this truck will survive another year of driving? Please holler if I left out any important info. Thanks all.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
well..it seems that you have covered A-Lot.
& it does it whether moving or standing still....so that pretty much rules out a bad U-Joint on the drive line.

power steering a touch low on fluid??
How about your interior fan has that been on as well?? thinking, as you rev up , you just don't hear it....but it's still there?

OOOHH'
How about this...check the Heat sheild on the exhuast catilitic convertor...that may have gotten a bit loose, or gotten dinked and vibrates against the exhuast pipe ....or the exhuast pipe vibrating on something else. Just give the whole exhuast good onece over....I'm guessing that you'll find something.

hope this helps.

Riddle_Rob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
My heat sheild did that. I ripped it off...

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I checked everything under the truck and around the engine compartment to make sure nothing was rattling, and i didnt find anything. I will definitely check again though, especially around the exhaust. The noise does change in pitch with the engine RPM if i didnt mention that.

Aside from stuff inside the engine and the transmission, are there any other devices that would move faster as the engine rpm increases, like the fuel or oil pump? Thanks guys.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
try a 3 foot piece of garden hose. put 1 end against your ear and the other to what you are listening to helps a ton when finging exactly where a noise is coming from.

Bob

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
May want to remove your belt and roll over the P/S pump by hand and see if you can isolate the noise that way ...doing the same with the Alternator, & A/C.

(with out the engine running)....the hose Idea is good too.

scalrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine started doing the same thing after I changed the oil last and I still can't find the cause. I use Mobil 1, don't know if the synthetic might have created a leak somewhere. I have heard it can but I'm not sure how true that is.

I thought it was my water pump because of some fluctuation of temp and movement in the shaft, but it didn't change the noise.

It seems like when I start the truck the noise is the loudest, if I let it warm up it will go away. If I don't warm it up it stays. Wierd.

spicybland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a '99 Ranger and its been doing the same thing for about two years now. The noise in my truck doesn't have anything to do with the performance. I went through the same checklist as you, and still no luck....

I know that my noise is coming from my Idler Pulley (top center pulley). I can spray some WD-40 on the bolt of the pully (use caution if you try it) and the noise goes away. I remember that when I changed out the pulley it had the bearings attached, but there was another set of bearings that the pully sat on. I'm getting a replacement to those later this week and I'll let you know if that's it.

Curious dose you noise depend on the moisture in the air? Mine gets louder when the hunidity level is high. If it gets wet I don't even want to drive my truck.

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The noise seems to be getting a little better now that its cooling off; it was 100-107 when it was at its worst now the highs are in the 80's.

To my recolection my idler pulley bolted strait to metal. I dont remember any separate set of bearing, but do let me know if that sixes you up there might be another set i missed. But I really doubt my noise is coming from the front end of the engine.

Also I used castrol synthetic when I changed my oil the time before i took it in to be changed, They used some kind of pennzoil.

Anyways, the check engine light came on about a week ago and I used a code reader on it. It said there was an EGR overflow and then EGR underflow. I got a new EGR flowmeter and am going to replace that today. However, I remember reading about noise related to the EGR valve or somthing, anybody think a bad EGR valve would in any way sound like a pulley going bad? lol.

Also does anyone know what an oil pump sounds like when it goes bad? Thats about all i can think of.

Thabks for your help guys.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When the bearings in the cam position sensor ( at the very back of the block) starts going bad, you'll get a chirping/squealing sound. Driven off the camshaft so noise will be speed dependent.

Just something else to check - easiest with a mech. stethoscope.

Bird

falconsprint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
having same problem

My 2000 Ranger 4.0 (96K miles) just started doing this a few days ago. Same symptoms: loudest after first starting engine, changes with engine speed, louder from under the engine, goes away at higher RPM, does not sound like it is coming from a drive belt accessory or the water pump. The weather here has also changed to cool and damp in the last few weeks. I tried using a mechanical stethoscope. I do seem to pick it up the sound when I touch the rear of the oil pan. When I’m listening from above the engine the sound seems to come from the rear of the engine. Bird, your suggestion that it is from the camshaft position sensor is consistent with what I’m hearing. Is there any further diagnostic I can do to confirm this?

I first thought it might be the water pump because I smell a faint odor of anti-freeze. But the sound is loudest from the rear of the engine and when I place the stethoscope on the water pump I don’t hear the squeak. Tonight I changed the oil because I feared the smell of anti-freeze was due to coolant in the oil. The oil looked fine. After the oil change the squeak was pretty loud for several minutes. I shut off the engine and restarted it and the sound has almost disappeared.

My concern is how urgent is this problem? Could it be a crankshaft bearing? I’ve changed the oil every 3000 miles. 4 years ago (45K miles) the engine overheated (bad thermostat) and I to replace both cylinder heads (cracked).

Fubeca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is very likely the camshaft position sensor syncronizer drive shaft. It is looks kind of like a distributer and has the cam position sensor mounted to the top of it. Aparently it is a relatively common problem with several Ford engines including ours.

An easy way to test for it is to take off the serpentine belt and run the motor for a few seconds. If you still hear it, it is most likely the syncro. It is fairly pricey - and a bit of a pain to replace.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I checked everything under the truck and around the engine compartment to make sure nothing was rattling, and i didnt find anything. I will definitely check again though, especially around the exhaust. The noise does change in pitch with the engine RPM if i didnt mention that.

Aside from stuff inside the engine and the transmission, are there any other devices that would move faster as the engine rpm increases, like the fuel or oil pump? Thanks guys.
i had a chirping in my engine bay one time, it was because the idler pulley bearing was siezing up and started squeaking, maybe that's the culprit?

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I got it fixed a while back, was definitly the bearings going bad on the cam position sensor. Thanks for all the help. It's nice having a ranger again that runs like she was brand new.

rgiedd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys!
I am have the same chirping problem with a few differences.
The chirping is loudest when cold.
It is still there when warmed up but fainter and higher pitched.
It seems to be coming from the right front.
It stops when the truck is standing still.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals