• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ram quad cab 4x4 vs dakota quad cab 4x4

95offroadx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know you cant really compair a midsize to a fullsize, but maybe you guys can help me decide on what i should get to fit my needs...

First off i love my ranger, but im having a kid soon and the size of the extendedcab ranger is just to small, i need to have a actual back seat..Second off i tow a 4000lb (car + trailer)..but may get a 18" enclosed trailer, come spring time. So lets just roughly say 5000lb's to just be safe..I also will start to pull this trailer out of state to the different race tracks on the northern east coast. Id like to get the best mpg i could ..ANd i dont need a very big bed,

So either trucks will both have v8's, 4x4 and 4 fullsize doors.....can i make due with the dakota? or do i need the xtra power of the ram?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Most Dakotas are rated to tow 5500Lbs-6500Lbs I believe depending on the options. If you're towing that much weight all the time you may be better off with a full size though..

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
If they're both going to be v-8 powered, I would have to say go with the full-size. I love the amount of cabin room my Ram has. You'll probably notice similar fuel economy with the Ram as you would the Dakota.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
my buddy had a 2000 dakota quad cab with 4x4 and the 360 it gets the same gas milage as the fullsize my advice is a 2500 ram with the 360

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you want a fullsize WHY THE HELL are you considering dodge??? you like replacing transmissions often and doing alignments constantly?

black_sheep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
you like replacing transmissions often and doing alignments constantly?
I'm gunna have to second that. My DD is a 2006 Dakota and I think there's a sticker on it somewhere (haven't found it yet) that states this. Haven't had to replace the transmission yet, but it's acting like a definite eventually. And can't make the steering act right.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you want a fullsize WHY THE HELL are you considering dodge??? you like replacing transmissions often and doing alignments constantly?

zuk is so right
i have two dodges right now :annoyed:and will never buy another one:dunno: i have owned 5 so far and any thing newer than 90 sux

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know not many people like to face it, but the only company that can make a truck nearly as well as Ford is Toyota.

What I don't get is why can't you just get a quad cab F150?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
There is a way around this crappy tranny problem, it's this crazy thing called, wait for it, a manual transmission....

If you get an auto, put a cooler on it and give it a shift kit, it'll thank you for it.

P.McKenna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want a Dodge get a Full size Ram or Power Wagon Pre-90's. I see far too many Newer Dodge's falling apart. If I were to get a newer truck I'd go with a Ford not just because I own a few but because they were the only company that didn't take our Tax payer dollar Bailouts.

If your heart is still set on a New Dodge truck, I'd go with a Fullsize as the dakota's look like ASS and are POS.

Last edited:

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love my 08 ram 4x4 tows great also gas isn't bad 12-15 in town and 18-20 on highway it has the Hemi with the cylinder shut down on it

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The dakotas get the same gas mileage as a full size according to everyone I know who owns one. That's why I never understood why the dakota even existed... If they get the same mileage as a 1/2 ton, but barely hold any more in the bed than a ranger (you still can't put a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells), what's the point?

I know a lot of people who love the size and wouldn't get anything else, I just don't see the point. And I've owned one and driven 3 others quite a bit back in the day.

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My first truck was an 86 power ram 4x4 on 35s, and I put that 318 through hell, and it begged for more. My dad's got a 2008 4.7 with a 6 speed manual, and no complaints from him either. I just wouldn't get an automatic

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, if you step up to a fullsize pickup, get a diesel... yeah, it may cost more to purchase and cost more to fuel up, but you (should) get better mileage than a gasser.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, if you step up to a fullsize pickup, get a diesel... yeah, it may cost more to purchase and cost more to fuel up, but you (should) get better mileage than a gasser.
Last I looked, the ford's diesel option was an extra 10 grand. I assume GM and Dodge are similar. All I've got to say is 10 grand will buy a heck of a lot of gas. And the "clean" diesels of today don't do any better on gas. Everyone I know who has a 2009 or better (regardless of make) can't stop complaining about the awful 12 mpg. Then you factor in the maintenance cost being higher for a diesel, and all of a sudden the diesel option looks really stupid unless you've got a 20,000 lb trailer you're going to be towing across the country on a regular basis.

Now if you're talking used, a diesel may very well be a better option.

But I say just buy a straight six ford and be done with it. They get very decent mileage for a full size, have a super low maintenance cost, parts are everywhere, and have enough grunt to pull anything you legally can with a 1/2 ton and then some. They sure as heck won't accelerate like a new diesel, but if that's what important to you, I guess you gotta "pay to play".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals