• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 super duty v10 problems...

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 ford super duty crew cab short bed with a v10 in it with 78k miles on it. I currently have two problems with the truck one is i have what sounds like an exhaust leak that i can only hear when driving the truck coming from behind the steering wheel and yesterday will be the third time i tried regasketing the exhaust at the head i replaced the factory manifolds with headers the first time because of the leak and still had it so i bought new gaskets and did it againand still had the leak, so this time i bought Remflex 100% graphite gaskets guaranteed to rebound 30% and not need to be retorqued and i still have the slight exhaust leak sound. Ive never had this much trouble getting rid of an exhaust leak.

And the other problem is that i cant turn the wheel i quarter turn to the left and then a quarter turn to the right without needing to pull the truck forward it feels like something is binding but i dont notice anything as long as im moving but it sucks to try to back a trailer up because i have to be moving to be able to turn the wheels at a certain point, i checked the front axle joints at the steering knuckles they are spinning fine.......any help would be appreciated..thanks andy

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
I have a 2001 ford super duty crew cab short bed with a v10 in it with 78k miles on it. I currently have two problems with the truck one is i have what sounds like an exhaust leak that i can only hear when driving the truck coming from behind the steering wheel and yesterday will be the third time i tried regasketing the exhaust at the head i replaced the factory manifolds with headers the first time because of the leak and still had it so i bought new gaskets and did it againand still had the leak, so this time i bought Remflex 100% graphite gaskets guaranteed to rebound 30% and not need to be retorqued and i still have the slight exhaust leak sound. Ive never had this much trouble getting rid of an exhaust leak.

And the other problem is that i cant turn the wheel i quarter turn to the left and then a quarter turn to the right without needing to pull the truck forward it feels like something is binding but i dont notice anything as long as im moving but it sucks to try to back a trailer up because i have to be moving to be able to turn the wheels at a certain point, i checked the front axle joints at the steering knuckles they are spinning fine.......any help would be appreciated..thanks andy
===========================================
Was there exhaust manifold gaskets on it from the factory? Alot of the NEWER stuff doesn't have gaskets, its a flush mount setup, and if it's leakin, could be the manifolds need milled a tad, we've had to do that before. Not sure what to say bout the headers, they should be ready to go, but......

Not sure what to tell ya on the turnin radius question....SORRY!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it is the exhaust? A leaking/loose spark plug sounds a lot like a exhaust leak/ticking lifter kind of a sound too.

Usually (with the cast manifolds) the only time they leak is when they break a stud... and then blow out a gasket. Headers don't always seal as well as manifolds either.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
took it to the ford dealer today and the shop foreman took a ride with me and asid it doesnt sound like an exhaust leak, he said i probably had an exhaust leak before and then i put the headers on and now im hearing the tingy noise of the driver side header and as far as the turning radius thing he said there is alot more scrub area between the tire and the road with the 305/70/16 bfg mud terrains than with the factory tires.So apparently there is nothing wrong....

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
33"x12" ....... should not be that much scrub. you need a bigger power steering pump.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so I flushed the power steering fluid with mobil 1 synthetic atf, and i can now turn lock to lock with no problems till i press the brake pedal........then i cant turn no more till i let off the brakes..........stumped i was told the diesels had the hydroboost brakes and the gas trucks are vacuum so the braking and the steering are not tied together.....

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump............

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any thoughts.....?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals