• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

idler pulley squeal

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my idler pulley was squealing in cold weather. it is the original factory (metal) part.

you can check the bearing in it. take the pulley off and carefully pry out the grease seal. mine was dry and making a squealing/whistling noise. repacked with grease=noise gone.

i had also replaced the tensioner because i thought that was making the sound. the old tensioner (also original) was shot. the spring in it didn't work at all...

hope this helps ....

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
That's inventive, I don't think I've ever heard of someone regreasing one of those. I think they are only like $30 to replace. I'm curious how long yours holds up.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's kinda cool....let us know how long it lasts.

As to the tensioner....Mine was working fine until it broke and hit me in the face when I was changing the belt last year. :annoyed:

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's inventive, I don't think I've ever heard of someone regreasing one of those. I think they are only like $30 to replace. I'm curious how long yours holds up.
i'm also curious to see how long it will hold. :dntknw:
i only re-greased it because it was sunday (and after wasting a trip autozone to find out they didn't have the right pulley)......:annoyed:

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
turned out the alternator itself was making the squeal/whistle sound. junkyard alternator ($25.00 at the local pick n pull) solved it.

no doubt dry bearings in the old one caused the sound.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Idler pulley with a no AC 2.3 is a PITA to find at any parts store.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I had a real problem finding an idler pulley for both my trucks 92 3.0 w/o a/c and 94 2.3 w/ac. same pulley on both trucks and nowhere had the right one... went to ford, it seems the pulley is a ford only or make your own type deal. they had a reasonable price on a pulley, but it's an updated version that doesn't appear to be the same. looks different but it is working in my 2.3 just fine and dandy.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Idler pulley with a no AC 2.3 is a PITA to find at any parts store.
i got one at napa - it's plastic, not like the original steel one, but still works fine.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i got one at napa - it's plastic, not like the original steel one, but still works fine.
The plastic idler or the metal one on the tensioner? Tensioner pulley was a piece of cake. I couldn't find the plastic one anywhere, so I hit the yards and found a used one with less play and repacked it.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The plastic idler or the metal one on the tensioner? Tensioner pulley was a piece of cake. I couldn't find the plastic one anywhere, so I hit the yards and found a used one with less play and repacked it.
the idler. i got one as i said from napa and it was plastic not like the original.
it was cheap something like $18 or so...

turned out the original metal idler was ok but just had dry bearings, which as u say you can re-pack with grease if they aren't too worn out.
i keep the original as the spare now.

wally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
auto value parts stores sell new bearings for both the idler and tensioner pulley for under $5 each. just have to press them out of old pulley and put new ones in

sharpertouch

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 94 ranger 2.3L with ac idler pulley went bad. having so much trouble finding replacement. does anyone have part numbers and where to get a replacement from?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
go to ford.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
6203 series bearings are used in those pulleys.

Available everywhere.

The ones I keep re-greasing are Napa 6203(something)RSJ? I can't remember the exact part number. The key to a pulley like that odd idler with the spacer is to use the best bearing. Once you've removed the rubber grease covers, (I use a jewelers screwdriver and peel it like a bike tire) you'll notice the bearing retainer. Low end bearings use a plastic cage, that make the bearing easy to disassemble and clean to regrease, but lack strength. The best ones have the ball bearings caged in a metal cage which will not come out. Expect to pay ~$16 for just the bearing, knowing a new pulley WITH bearing is ~$18. The better bearing is well worth it and a couple sockets and a hammer will push them out/in the pulley.

I don't know where to get that threaded spacer, but these bearings are used in a lot of mower decks and lawn equipment, so that's another source maybe.

sharpertouch

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the bearing on the idler pulley is fine. however the plastic 'ribs' that conect the bearing to the outer part r broken. therefore i need the pulley not just a regreasing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals