• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'96 F-150 needs work. Need help on an estimate.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual

My baby needs some work. I've got a list of everything I can think of that she needs, but I'm not sure how much it will cost, or if I've missed anything. Also, some of these will have to be done at a shop, because right after I come back from deployment I have like 5 days to get from Maine to Florida with pretty much just the clothes on my back.

I know she will need a full drive train lube with an oil change, trans flush/filter, and coolant flush before I drive to JAX. I think it's a little under 500 bucks at VIP, but would any New-Englanders mind checking that for me next time you're in one?

That should be enough to get me down to JAX without any problems, but when I get there, I have a lot more stuff that it needs.

I know it needs some por-15 on the frame, but I'll do that part myself when I get time.

The bed is rusted through over the rear wheel-wells. Does anyone know how much it will cost to patch that?

And the killer - I need a rebuild. It's a 5.0 with 193xxx miles on it now, and it's never been rebuilt. So I'm guessing I'll probably have to go .030 over. I plan to port and polish the intake, and maybe a more performance oriented cam, but not more than that. How much do you think this would run me if I did it myself? Also, would I need to reprogram the computer?

Does anyone have any estimates on how much this will run me?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
in all seriousness I would look for a new truck........if the frame is rusting that is the foundation of the truck.......

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
POR 15 is a rubberized undercoating correct?

If thats the case then chances are he wants to prevent the frame from rusting, all frames get surface rust on them and isnt really detrimental to the structure of the vehicle, even a pin hole here or there isnt a big deal.

I have NEVER seen a Ford Frame rust through (or a GM or dodge one for that matter).

Why do you think you need a rebuild? Just becasuse of the mileage? Rebulding is a waste of money espically if the engine burns little to no oil, runs smooth, and still has some giddyup.

later,
Dustin

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in all seriousness I would look for a new truck........if the frame is rusting that is the foundation of the truck.......
It's just light surface rust. I can take it off with wd-40 and a wire brush in about a couple of seconds. It's only on the rear half of the frame too, the front is still rust free.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
POR 15 is a rubberized undercoating correct?
It's actually a fairly har, thick paint. I may just do spray cans of rubberized undercoating though. I can 90 percent of the rust if I just take off the bed.

think you need a rebuild? Just becasuse of the mileage? Rebulding is a waste of money espically if the engine burns little to no oil, runs smooth, and still has some giddyup.
It burns a little oil. Less than a quart a month, and I drive about 15-20 miles a day. The main reason is because of the mileage, plus I get terrible gas mileage (11.6-12.3), and the engine just feels tired. I wouldn't mess with it, since it runs fine, but I'll have about 20 grand when I get back from deployment, so I can afford to put some money into her.

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not going to get much better mileage with a rebuild. i would look to trade for a different truck if you have the money. if you can fix the rust on the box urself, its not that expensive, but to have someone do it will cost more than the truck itself.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its not going to get much better mileage with a rebuild. i would look to trade for a different truck if you have the money. if you can fix the rust on the box urself, its not that expensive, but to have someone do it will cost more than the truck itself.
I know a couple of guys who can weld, and the panels are $40 apiece on bronco graveyard. I figure I can probably find a good bed in a junkyard, too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals