• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bleeding master cylinder and other issues?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I got an '84 ranger and I've done some upgrades to the brakes.

D35 swap from a '95 Ranger, the rear brakes are calipers for a full size Chevy.

this is a strictly offroad rig, virtually no street driving,

When I press on the brake it firms up really quick and then will slowly sink to the floor at a fairly even pressure and speed.

Is there air in the lines? I bled all of the lines already and started from the furthest away. All of the brake lines were replaced from the master out. I just saw a post about there being a proper way to bleed a master cylinder but I couldn't find anything on it? the whole reason I redid all of the lines is because a hard line popped when my brother mistook it for the brake pedal (automatic guy, it also never ran with those lines while I had it fyi, got it out of a junkyard). so it had been completely drained.

I'm thinking there's air somewhere but I don't know where.. And the rear disks will be going back to drums more than likely when my 8.8 is done.

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
if you do this repeatedly, is the fluid level in the reservoir going down? you may have a tiny leak some where. perhaps a fitting that needs to be tightened some more or a cockeyed flare on the end of one of the lines.

also (i am speculating here) it could be a leak inside the master cylinder.

it doesnt sound like air in the lines because they are soft at first and then the pedal gets firm after a pump or two and it stays that way until the brakes are released.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
nope, no leaks. It's been sitting with "finished" brakes for a good month now (need time to go home and fix other stuff now), no new fluid drips. It's not decreasing from the master cylinder either (though I haven't checked as it's been sitting, only while bleeding and trying to figure out why it still went to the floor)

michowski

Reaction score
I would fill the reservoir and rebleed them all again. Chance there is still air inside the lines. Keep a good eye on the level of the reservoir and notice were its at after you bleed them and when your driving and trying to test the brakes.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
this happened to my truck about a year ago, i would bleed the brakes and about a week later, they were spongy again, so i replaced the master cylinder, it was leaking but there were no visible signs of it, so i would maybe think about replacing the master cylinder if nothing else works.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals