• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How are the Super Duty gassers?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found a pretty nice 03 F250 that's in my price range, with a 5.4L. Just wondering what your opinions on this are? I don't need a diesel and don't do a lot of heavy towing (maybe my dad's ASV RC50 skid steer or hauling a car 30 miles or so), but I would most likely be getting a plow for it. I know it won't be a hot rod, but are they complete dogs? Can I expect at least better mileage than my F150 (I get 10 mpg with it).

Just wondering if you guys would go take a look at 'er or pass on it. I could get away with a newer half ton, but if I got a F250 I'd be able to do a bit more with it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
<=============See Avator

Well... I had a 2002 F-250. Short Bed, Extended cab. 5.4L with the 4R100 Automatic.

It got 11mpg...regardless of temp, load, wind, etc. It sucked on gas...literally.

It would do anything thought, it was rated at 7100# (3.73 gears and underpowered motor) but I towed 14000# for about 20 miles with no issues.

I think they changed to a 3 valve 5.4 in 2004 which is more powerful and easier on gas. The Triton motors are known as plug poppers because they tend to spit the spark plugs out of the 2 threads some idiot at ford designed into an aluminum head.

Mine was slow... It would go if hammered, but I could watch the gas guage drop. I also don't like the sloppyness in that particular transmission. Seems to slip from one gear to another and not lock up like some trucks I've driven.

I loved it though, I plan on getting another, but this time getting the diesel.

Nosetackle63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 05 with the Powerstroke.
I have averaged 18mpg while towing a 7000lbs dump trailer, with a Kubota 14000lbs excavator in it.

The truck pulls them like they arent even there.

Without anything behind it, I can probably get 22mpg or so.

It really is great on fuel, it gets better milage than my little 2wd 1999 3.0 Ranger.

Oh, and chicks dig Diesel's with 5" pipes:icon_cheers:
If you have the funds, go diesel.

My buddy just hit 400,000 in his rig. Never a part replaced, just routine maintance.

Snowboarder7710

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
well if you must get the 5.4 try to get a 3v one. my dad had an 01 250 with the 5.4 and now has an 07 with the 5.4 and torqueshift trans. both trucks were used for his work which consisted of hauling a 24 foot trailer full of glass and equipment to job sites. i believe the 01 had 3.73 gears and i know the 07 has 4.10s. the 07 pulls so much better than the 01 did...besides the obvious gear difference, the 3v with the torqueshift feels stronger. both trucks got terrible gas mileage....maybe 11 or so?

but if you can...diesel!! costs more but better gas mileage and towing power.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
as soon as i've got the money and career to back it up, my dream truck is an F-250, short bed, extended cab, powerstroke. i may, unfortunately, never see that day come, though lol

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i used to drive a 06 single cab 2wd f250 for work and that thing was awsome fast and powerfull 5.4L all the way if i were to buy one personally it would be with the 5.4L i draged my uncles corvette in it and slamed it, it was a fleet truck tho im pretty sure it had 4.56 gears but ya i loved it

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm... only around 11 eh? I wouldn't be any farther ahead than what I get with my 95.

I'd like to go diesel, but for what I use it for I can't justify the cost (especially to fix it when something breaks). If I ever get a diesel it will be in a second truck, right now I'm looking for a new primary truck. Maybe I'll just keep looking at half tons and get a straight blade plow, I was going to go with a V plow on a 3/4 ton but that would have been a bit overkill for me.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My dads 00 F250 Ext cab long box 4x4 with a 5.4L gets 15.

Aint got the nuts his 88 F250 HD had with a 351W, but it does get better mileage.

Diesels are overrated.

later,
Dustin

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I get around 16 mpg with my '95 F-150... with the mighty 300, lol. I've heard of people using the 300's for plow trucks too...

I'm just having trouble tracking down a used plow for it though, seems like almost all of the used plows for sale around here are for Chevys... go figure...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 300 is an awesome engine for a truck, but every one ive had i neer was able to get any kinda mileage.

later,
Dustin

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
My Dad has an 04 F-250 with the 5.4L. He absolutly hates the thing. It doesn't even have 40K miles on it yet and he's already had to replace all four ball joints, a couple u-joints and the Warn manual locking hubs. Not to mention the two piece spark plugs are a PITA. The last two cylinder heads are literally IN the firewall, so there's no way to get at the plugs. Even if he could, supposedly you have to drill out the bottom half of the plugs and then vaccuum all the shit out of the cylinders. WTF Ford? And now, the trucks making a weird humming sound around 35mph. It almost sounds like a turbo spinning down. My Dad's thinking either the carrier barring or, worst case scenario, a tcase issue. And all this with a truck thats used as a DD to go the three miles back and forth to work. The most work the thing does is haul a flat-bed filled with hay several times a year and plow out my grandmother's drive way and ours whenever we get a decent snow storm. Unfortunatly its one of the worst built trucks I've ever seen.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I've talked myself out of a 3/4 ton with a 5.4L, I drove my buddies and it was kind of a dog, and if they aren't going to get any better mileage than my F150 gets now I'm not coming out ahead at all.

I've got an eye on two trucks right now, an 05 F150 Supercrew with a 5.4L, but it's got REALLY high miles (172,000 high), the guy that owns it bought it from a salesman who apparently did a lot of traveling. The other is a 2000 Chevy 1500 extended cab, 112,000 miles. Just about exactly what I want, even has a plow (Western, though I'd rather have a Boss, but oh well).

Took the Ford for a test drive today, everything seemed solid, but that mileage scares me a bit. I'm really tempted on the Chevy, it belongs to a guy at work and I drove it this weekend (sober drove from his camp back to town :D). Guess we'll see, I still gotta sell a few things before I really start looking.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Gutless eh?! I would love to drive one with a V-10 to compare it to my old 5.4.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
1. Diesel's rule....gasser's are for 5 min trip's that clog diesels up....
2. Plow's belong on 3/4t's or heavier, they tear truck's up like nothin
3. Refer to #1

I can tow 12000lbs with my old mans superduty (08' DPF delete w/60hp tune) and get better mileage then driving my ranger empty. Not to mention that even with that load it'll still outrun my truck......:bawling:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals