• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using the top or bottom mounting hole for the front axle?

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I see where each side of the front axle bolts into the mounting brackets there are 2 holes a bottom one and a top one. I used the top one. Does it matter? I'm sure it has to do with allignment. I would think the bottom would be better to use than the top cuz less angle the axle is. I got plenty of pics I took of al this I wil post em when I'm done.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I assume it's a 6" Skyjacker lift from your other post?

What are the specs on your truck? (Supercab? Reg cab? 4cyl, 4.0L?, etc)

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume it's a 6" Skyjacker lift from your other post?

What are the specs on your truck? (Supercab? Reg cab? 4cyl, 4.0L?, etc)
Yes Junkie, I am in the process of puttin' a 6'' Skyjacker class 2 in. I never realized how much work it really is. I wish now I woulda paid 'em to do it no. The old brakets and cross mamber were a real b1tch to get off cuz they were riviited. And I burnt a hole in the spedo cable with the torch, and hit 2 of the sending unit wires going in the treansmition.

It's a 4.0, Reg cab.

Thanks Junckie you know your stuff!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Reg cab 4.0L...

What I would do, is put the drivers side axlebeam in the top hole (big bracket), and the passengerside beam on the bottom hole (cast bracket).
For reasons I have not yet been able to figure out, Skyjacker positions the holes a bit different on the passengerside than the driverside :icon_confused:

In some cases, I've found drilling a 3rd hole between the two that are there (on the cast bracket) to be even better still.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reg cab 4.0L...

What I would do, is put the drivers side axlebeam in the top hole (big bracket), and the passengerside beam on the bottom hole (cast bracket).
For reasons I have not yet been able to figure out, Skyjacker positions the holes a bit different on the passengerside than the driverside :icon_confused:

In some cases, I've found drilling a 3rd hole between the two that are there (on the cast bracket) to be even better still.
Junkie, I just did that tonight. We'll see how it elighns. Will it help? I'l also have pics soon of everything.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I know on the superlift brackets, they have the same two holes. One is supposed to be for the 4" lift and the other for the 6". I had to use the lower hole for both of my 4" lifts(Ranger and Explorer) otherwise the tires would sit like this....\../ (I tried following the directions on my Ranger)Using the holes for the 6" lift the tires straightened up... l..l

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Junkie, I just did that tonight. We'll see how it elighns. Will it help? I'l also have pics soon of everything.
It should help, yes.

The Skyjacker 6" coils will in reality sit at about 5" lift on that truck (a little less if you have a winch & bumper).
Putting a new hole in between the existing holes will match it up better with what the upper hole on the other side's bracket is, so you should be able to use the same camber/caster bushings in both sides (otherwise you'd need ones that are radically different for both sides, which makes aligning them a bit more tedious).

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It should help, yes.

The Skyjacker 6" coils will in reality sit at about 5" lift on that truck (a little less if you have a winch & bumper).
Putting a new hole in between the existing holes will match it up better with what the upper hole on the other side's bracket is, so you should be able to use the same camber/caster bushings in both sides (otherwise you'd need ones that are radically different for both sides, which makes aligning them a bit more tedious).
Thanks man. I allready go it all in and everything tight. I used the holes you told me. I allready got the cast iron bracket in (that was a major b1tch taking out the original one) and don't feel like taking it out to drill a hole inbetween the the bottom and I don't feel like taking it out to drill a hole now cuz there. Does it really matter? If they have trouble aligning it then I might eventuall hafta. Also I wish I woulda spent more money and gone with new leafs in the rear instead of a block, I hear blocks suck and I will get wheel hoop, and it also look "cheap." I'll see how the blocks work, if they work fine I'll leave 'em, if not I'll be gettin' some Softride Skyjacker leafs for it here very soon.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You should be fine.

A competent shop will know what to do if it doesn't align right away.

(My guess is you'll need somewhere around -1° camber correction on the drivers wheel, and probably +0.5° on the pass side (well within adjustment range), going from my own experience with this on my 4.0L Reg Cab)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals