• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

steering while in 4 wheel

TheDanger2801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
went into 4 wheel last night and worked fine untill i made a U turn. as soon as i cut the wheel either direction the truck wanted to stop. when you give it gas it almost seems like it drags the back end. then when you even the wheel out it drives like a truck should in 4 wheel. it feels like steering binding when you go past a certain point in turning the wheel. i have a 98' ext cab with electronic 4x4. can anyone help me. Im afraid to bring it to the dealer in fear of cost.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
this is normal.

think about why you have a differential in your axle. it is so that when your are turning, the inside tire and the outside tire can turn at different speeds because each is traveling a different "circle".

the same thing happens with the front of the vehicle and the back of the vehicle. the front makes a bigger circle than the back. because there is no differential between the two axles, they are forced to turn at the same speed and the tires end up slipping/scrubbing.

all wheel drive vehicles have a differential between the front and rear. 4x4 vehicles dont because the 4wd function is not meant to be used all the time. especially not on dry pavement.

hope this helps take care of your fears.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
What he said.... Except for one thing

The reason it was binding was because you were on a surface with too high of traction, meaning at the time you were turning the road or surface was not slick enough to need 4WD. Your truck will do this anytime your in 4WD on a high traction surface.

It can actually damage your truck if you do it too much, so I would make sure it is slippery enough to use 4WD, or not make such sharp turns when your using it.

TheDanger2801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thank you very much. the only reason i though it was strange was because when i used 4 wheel many times before it never happened maybe thats because it was off road. never thought of it being dry pavement. thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals