• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to the domestic scene and need help

dohcdelsol93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
honda
Transmission
Automatic
I was given 3 bronco II's.

the best out of the bunch is an 89 Bronco II 2wd auto

the bad part about it is that the tranny has been rebuilt twice over the past 250,000 miles and the engine doesn't have the power to pull a string out of a flys rear end.

The good

between the other 2 broncos (both 4wd) i have one good 88' 2.8L carb'ed engine that I will be rebuilding back to stock specs and all the parts to put a manual tranny in my good bronco except the tranny.

what would be the best manual tranny to buy for my bronco, i specificly need to know the code and what model/years it came in and what drive shaft i will need to install with the new tranny.

I plan on keeping the bronco carburated and 2wd

if I have to meet emissions i've been told that i could put the heads and EFI system from the 2.9L on the 2.8L engine with no modificatoin. Can anyone verify that?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New to the domestic scene...

I thought you were going to ask how to change a diaper.

Not much domestic about what you are doing. The engines are German, the auto is French and the manuals are Japanese.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
boy if you think the 2.9 is underpowered, you don't want to put that 2.8 in. The best tranmission you can get in an RBV is the Mazda M5OD, which is behind pretty much every manual ranger after '93, but can be found is alot after '88 too. Its been behind every 4.0l, which is what you'll want to be looking for since you'll be putting it behind a 2.9 or 2.8 (same bellhousing). You can also put a flywheelclutch, and starter from a 4.0l on a 2.8 or 2.9, it will be an upgrade (11 inch clutch compared to 9 inch clutch)

Last edited:

dohcdelsol93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
honda
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info

any other mods that i may need to do like the drive shaft or cross braces?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thanks for the info

any other mods that i may need to do like the drive shaft or cross braces?
dont take any offense to anything you hear at TRS, imports seem to get picked on alot but its all in good fun. anyways, how did you manage to get 3 b2's for free??? the '88 is not a 2.8, or its not an '88. the carb'd engine was only used till 85, in 86 it was replaced with the 2.9. if you want to keep the 2wd a 2wd, use a 2wd trans and get rid of the dummy t-case ford put in there. then replace the driveshaft with one the right length. if you want a 4wd, convert the 2wd. its pretty straight up from what i hear. one ttb bracket needs to be taken off and put back on the other side of the engine cross member. then you replace the dummy tcase with a real one (that you already have) and put the front axle in. not sure if you need to replace an axle beam or not but you have the donors. the 2wd b2's used 4wd suspension but the 2wd rangers were different.

dohcdelsol93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
honda
Transmission
Automatic
dont take any offense to anything you hear at TRS, imports seem to get picked on alot but its all in good fun. anyways, how did you manage to get 3 b2's for free??? the '88 is not a 2.8, or its not an '88. the carb'd engine was only used till 85, in 86 it was replaced with the 2.9. if you want to keep the 2wd a 2wd, use a 2wd trans and get rid of the dummy t-case ford put in there. then replace the driveshaft with one the right length. if you want a 4wd, convert the 2wd. its pretty straight up from what i hear. one ttb bracket needs to be taken off and put back on the other side of the engine cross member. then you replace the dummy tcase with a real one (that you already have) and put the front axle in. not sure if you need to replace an axle beam or not but you have the donors. the 2wd b2's used 4wd suspension but the 2wd rangers were different.

it's ok, I have a 300 whp Honda del sol, I let the domestic guys talk all they want.

I was given all the broncos by my father along with a 91 4wd auto Explorer.

However I'm not into the 4wd scene, i just need a truck/suv to tow a boat during the summer and picking up a lawnmower from time to time to work on.

I'm definatly keeping my bronco 2wd. I was told that my other broncos were both 88's but hey they were both free, I don't care what year they are so long as I can steal parts off of them then scrap them out.

What vehicle will I have to steal the drive shaft out of to do this conversion?

and since atleast one of my donor b2's is a pre 86 will the back hatch interchange along with the master cyl and clutch/ brake pedal?

and with the m50D tranny will I be able to use the shifter out of an earlier model bronco?

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
your driveshaft will most likely have to be custom but you should be able to take a driveshaft from a ranger and shorten it. i dont know if the hatch will interchange for sure but i think it will, pretty sure the only change from 1g to 2g was in the front end. if youre converting from auto to manual, you will need to replace the brake pedal, add the clutch pedal, and maybe have to change the bracket that holds them too. the clutch master should come from the same donor as the trans, and there should be a hole in the firewall covered up with a plate. unbolt the plate and the master goes there.

dohcdelsol93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
honda
Transmission
Automatic
I'm fairly sure I will need to put a different ECU on her too, can anyone confirm this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals