• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine computers

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Back when I was haveing troubles getting my truck running I swapped out the ECM (by the right foot passanger side, inside of the cab) from a 87' with auto but with manual transfer case and look outs. mine has auto tranny too but push electric/ button transferr case auto hubs 86'.

resently I actually used the 4x4...pushed the button, it flashed a bit then lit solid and the front wheels engaged.:)

...even in park it and going down the road it seemed to run bettter...didn't feel like it took so much pedal to get moving. (I still have the 87' ecm in the 86.)

my question is...IS there difference in ecm's from 1 to the other????

it runns fine in 2 wh dr too but its little things...idles higher and longer too after cold start.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i hear its the same computer 4x4 and 2x4,and different for manual or auto.the year models might have something to do with it.on a side note-hows she running these days after all the trouble?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i cant say for sure in your case but auto to manual is different (can use auto computer in manual truck but will throw codes) and 86-87 vs 88-up computers are different (egr on the old engines, not on the new ones) i have run a couple different computers and the only one that didnt run my engine right was one from a merkur scorpio 2.9. it ran but really rich

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i hear its the same computer 4x4 and 2x4,and different for manual or auto.the year models might have something to do with it.on a side note-hows she running these days after all the trouble?
Hey thanks....it is running really well...in either 2whl or 4x4 mode. I just noticed it ran a bit smoother in 4x4 mode..flater power band....judging by my seat of pants only...Iv'e be around 4x4 trucks before & never noticed what i feeling...then again I haven't been around the 2.9 much at all. closest i got around to these is my brothers had Mercry Capri's, 1 had a 76' with 2.8 4speed and other had a 79' with 2.9 5speed. the 79 would get right out and scoot 130mph and still had pedal. bit off topic.

Is there a vacuum module or sensor on the tranny that would be affect the driveability/proformance when in 4x4 only??

my concern is I'm only gettting 10-12mpg...not leaving great clouds of exhuast...seems to burn clean....no oil loss...no coolant loss

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
dang,i get 15-16 mpg in a f-250 utility body w/5.4 and carry tool boxes and equipment at 80 plus mph on the atlantabahn.i feel for you.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i should clarify.i ment that they are different for auto tranny and man. tranny-not transfer case.and i don't know why it would feel like it had more power in 4x4 since you are turning all the extra mass of the front shafts.
i chickened out and am knee deep in a 4.0l swap so i guess i'll never know what that camcraft cam would be like.if i diden't have the donor truck in my yard i'de have gone with a rebuild and one of their cams.i like playin' with small motors.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i should clarify.i ment that they are different for auto tranny and man. tranny-not transfer case.and i don't know why it would feel like it had more power in 4x4 since you are turning all the extra mass of the front shafts.
i chickened out and am knee deep in a 4.0l swap so i guess i'll never know what that camcraft cam would be like.if i diden't have the donor truck in my yard i'de have gone with a rebuild and one of their cams.i like playin' with small motors.
yes that is my understanding from other threads...that the ECM is only different from auto to manual tranny's...that transferr cases played no part or affect....I wasn't sure if they did or didn't so I thought I'd tap the vast experince here on TRS.

as far as the cam goes....it does have just a bit of lope to it on idle...not much...just abit....hear it in the exhaust more than anything & thats factory.
yeah Dad's ole 77' with 400m auto did at least 14mpg empty in 2 wl dr. that ws a truck.

would a bad fuel pump in the tank cause poor economy?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The engine control computer has NOTHING to do with the
electronic transfer case.

That is dealt with by another "computer" that controls JUST the t-case shift motor.

AD

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
The engine control computer has NOTHING to do with the
electronic transfer case.

That is dealt with by another "computer" that controls JUST the t-case shift motor.

AD
Thanks for the clearifacation!!
I was just wondering if in 4x4 mode it put in a different timimg or management protical....apprently not

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals