• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Swap Questions???

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hey, i have a '96 ranger 4.0L 4x4 stx 5-speed manual, and i am thinking of swapping a 302 5.0L from an '86 Ford F-150 4x4 and i have some questions regarding the swap:

1.) what headers will fit without any modifying? i was looking at hedman part#89500 or #88400

2.)i have heard of other ppl running their stock air conditioning system w/ different mounts to the V8, is this true or not?

3.)what should i run for a cooling system? what will fit? i was thinking of running E-fans, is this a good idea?

4.)do i need to get a different wirring harness for the transmission?(i have the mazda M5OD-R1) im talking about the H.E.G.O. Sensor harness. if i do where and what do i need?

overall is there anything else that u guys encountered as problems in doing this kind of swap? am i missing anything?

thanks,
matt

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tech section has most of those questions answered. You should check there first. The guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over.
I just hate it when no one will even answer a post.
If you can't find an answer to a question in the tech section come back and post here. somebody WILL answer.

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
well to start i would recommend a different trans, becuz the stock v6 trans will not only be compatible w/ the s.b.f. it wont hold up either. so i would start there. and another thing to take into account is, is the vehicle goin to be a daily driver?

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sry i dont mean to be noob, but i already checked the tech section, and those are the only 4 questions that i couldnt find answers for.

and yes pineypower1186 my truck right now is a daily driver

p.s. what is s.b.f?

thanks guys

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
small block ford

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks V8power

but does anyone still know any of the answers to any of the 4 questions i posted earlier? im still in the research stage right now, im lookin at spring break next year for the swap.

thanks
matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
mustang shortys off a 94-95 mustang fit mine without any mods. 85 mustang rad fit in mine well, careful with the 4 core rads, they can cause major clearance problems. Im running a 3 core aluminum with electric fan behind it.

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are many different headers that will work. Hardly any work without some sort of modification. The passenger side you will probably have to shave the frame rail a little.

There are people that have retained their ac. How they did it i am not sure about.

Take a measurement of inside your frame rails under your radiator support to see how big a radiator you can fit in there. Some guys use rads out of 4.0 rangers. Electric fans are usually ok. Where you live up North you should'nt have a problem.

As far as the tranny goes I can not answer that one. Good Luck with your project.

Make sure when you start it you are not pressed for time. It'll take longer then you
expect. Just my .02 though

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
awsome! thanks V8Power

i think im gonna go w/ the hedman headers and just do some modifying, as w/ the ac, well if we cant get it to work its not really a big deal i dont use it that much anyway.

yea time might be an issue(i deff. know what u mean bout things taken longer than they should), seeing as im still going to college right now we are going to rebuild the motor over winter break so its already to go in when spring rolls around, we only got about a week to do the swap, so im trying to be as prepared as i can get.

ill have to give ford a call bout that tranny question maybe.

thanks again guys

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission

You can go with a couple different type of transmissions you have the 2 automatics ( C4 and AOD ) since your truck is a daily driver you'd probably go with the AOD because it has the plus factor of overdrive. Or if you wanted to stick with a 5 speed you could go with a t-5. They were found in mustangs from 87-93(the good ones atleast). James Duff has adaptors to bolt v8 trannys to ranger transfer cases someplace on there i think. http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/v8conversion.html As for your air conditioning, I believe that you can use the bracket off of a 5.0 explorer. You will have to modify your heater box most likely also because the valve cover wont clear. Also i forgot to add, if this is going to be fuel injection then make sure you get a computer for what ever transmission your going to use (ex: if your going with a manual tranny get a ecu out of a manual tranny car) If your going carbed doesnt matter just wire up the neutral saftey switch garbage

Last edited:

matt32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yea it will be a multi port fuel injected motor

so there is no way i can use my stock 5-speed tranny? cuz iv heard that they can hold up if you dont beat on it, is this true or just a bunch of bs?

p.s. i just rolled my truck friday comming home from college :pissedoff: , hit a patch of ice & couldnt save her.....im fine....cant say the same for my baby though :sad: so im gonna be lookin for a new truck, same year 94-97 ranger, to still be able to do the swap.

thanks for all the advice though guys

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hear about your truck. Glad your ok though.

Your stock tranny will not take the extra HP & TQ. for long, if at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals