• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how much???

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking to put a cb in my truck and i know nothing about cb radios or the antennas and i was wondering how much it would cost me to get everything i would need to use the cb ????? I will do the installation myself of course .. please help out with ideas
:icon_confused:
What would i need ,company,and price range??

Last edited:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking to put a cb in my truck and i know nothing about cb radios or the antennas and i was wondering how much it would cost me to get everything i would need to use the cb ????? I will do the installation myself of course .. please help out with ideas
:icon_confused:
What would i need ,company,and price range??
$40-60+ for cb and antenna

i run this guy
http://www.cobra.com/products/mobile-cb-radios/19-dx-iv-compact-cb-radio
with a radio shack magnetic mount antena

pretty basic and my range is about 5 or 6 miles

i would say cobra or galaxy especially the higher up models tweaked and peaked you can get out and talk to someone.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Recommend a larger style radio like Galaxy 929 or like models or even Cobra 29, 148, Uniden PC76 or 78 any like these radios. The smaller ones are nice, but not as good for range and quality, but it also depends on what you want to use it for. Is it just when you go wheelin with your buddies? If so get a smaller one. You'll usually never be too far away from each other to get out of range. Do you plan on using it for long road trips? Then go for the larger radio with the better clarity and distance.
As for antenna's, I only recommend Wilson steel whip style antenna's. Fiberglass whips are good, but not as good as a steel whip. Steel whips are also a lot more flexable for offroading compared to a fiberglass which can break much quicker trying to get underneath that branch. Magnetic mount, depending on if you like your paint job or not. And for those that want to suggest putting a piece of cloth under it to prevent scratching and rust, WRONG. Why? Because the magnet is the ground side of the antenna. Placing a cloth between it and the vehicle keeps it from making a true ground, hence more static in your radio, lack of distance both receive and transmit side, extremely hard to get your SWR's down and lets not forget you don't want to be keyed up when lightening strikes it. At the same time, hard mounted antenna's might not be what you want because they require drilling holes, but makes a much better ground than a magnet.
As for price, yes a Walmart or Radioshack special with antenna, between $40 to $100 dollars. As you look at bigger better equipment, the price goes up.
Any truck stops in your area? Check with truck drivers and see if there is a CB shop around. They can have good deals on used radios, where you can get the bigger radio for the little radio pricing, depending on what has been done to it. As you're new to CB's, you can also get them to set your SWR's for you so you don't have to buy your own meter to do it. Some radio's come with SWR meters built in, but don't always trust them. They won't stay calibrated like an external meter will.
One last suggestion for anyone new to CB's. When you get it hooked up, don't grab the mike and key it up. Turn it on and listen to how others talk for a week or so, then ask for your first break. People don't talk on them like you see in the movies with BREAKER, BREAKER 1-9, BS. Start then and you're likely not to get a response from anyone then you think your radio is messed up and you just got yourself the name of MUD DUCK on the radio.

What you need:
As for what you need, the radio, an antenna, 18 ft of coax if the antenna doesn't come with it. The reason for 18ft is to make up the difference in the length of your antenna since you can't mount it as high like you can a base station antenna. Any extra coax should be hidden somewhere, like under your seat in large loops. Small loops in coax can raise your SWR's as it will act as a second center load for your antenna. If you get one used also make sure it has the mounting bracket. Depending on your hearing and where you mount your radio, you may also want to pick up an external speaker. Proper wire connectors to hook up the ground and positive wire with and any tools and hardware to mount the equipment with.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
cobra 29 - about $80 new for a stripped down one, to get the blue LED blutooth with sound tracker and weather radio (like the one i got) is about $160...... $110 after rebate. got mine NIB in the truckstop parking lot for $60 from a dude wanting money for a lizard.

$25 for a 60" K-40 tunable whip

$20 for 9' of good mini 8 cable

and $15 for a good power filter (you need this because you are putting it into a gasser, it shields the RF from the ignition system)

the fact that you need 18' feet of coax is only true if you are not using mini 8 coax. you do, however, need multiples of 3'. I have fond 9' works the best for the antenna I mentioned. I have an SWR of 1.2:1 with 9' of mini 8 and a K-40 60" whip. I couldn't get that with airforce equipment under laboratory conditions. Barefoot and stock my radio walks out 20 miles crystal clear.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
okay thank you very much guys for all your info and help with me being a newbie to cb!!!
BDAB
creepinjeepster
alaskan155

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals