• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'07 Ranger - no 4x4

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
We got our first snowstorm of the season over the weekend. I was all excited to take my 2007 Ranger out for her first romp in the snow. I pulled up to a stoplight with lots of snow. While at a standstill, I switched the automatic 4x4 into 4H. I waited until the light changed, stepped on the gas, and my rear tire spun. I looked at the dash and my 4x4 light was not illuminated. I tried again and it didn't work. Tail between her legs, I coaxed her into motion. Further down the road I tried switching into 4H on the fly. Nothing. No sound, no dashboard illumination, no 4-wheel drive. I tried 4L in neutral and got nothing.

Later that morning I tried it again after the truck had sat for an hour. Still nothing. I made an appointment with Ford.

That evening, as the roads were even worse I tried for a third time and it worked. It's worked ever since, including last night when I put her into 4L and towed the snowmobile trailer through the yard.

She goes into the shop tomorrow but I know I'll get the "it seems to work fine and we can't find anything wrong with it" line from the dealership. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
did you tap the brakes when trying to shift it? mine doesnt shift unless you tap the brakes. it is a feature that protects the transfer case from being shifted when the engine is reving.

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
did you tap the brakes
I did try holding my foot on the brake as I shifted into 4x4. The manual doesn't say anything about needing to tap the brakes, only that you shouldn't try shifting if the wheels are slipping.

Any other thoughts?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you tap the brakes when trying to shift it? mine doesnt shift unless you tap the brakes. it is a feature that protects the transfer case from being shifted when the engine is reving.
I've never heard of that feature on a Ranger's transfer case. An 07 Ranger should shift into 4Hi at any speed up to 55mph (after that things can break). You can rev the engine all you want while shifting it (I wouldn't recommend it), it should still engage no matter what.

Sounds like a sticky transfer case shift motor, or possibly something's wrong with the electronics. Let us know what they find.

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I dropped it off, they told me that snow can "get in there" and prevent the 4-wheel drive from engaging. I almost blew my top. With it being the first inch of snow on the ground, if that clogged up the system, then what's the point!

They eventually talked to the truck computer and found that there was a problem with the shift lever. I don't quite know what that is but they replaced it and sent me on my way. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

What does the shift lever do for 4x4?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals