• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires too wide???

lilredtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed my ranger floats quite a bit in the snow/slush, and the front end can get quite squirrelly. I havent had any problems with the rear stepping out of line unexpectedly, but the truck has pushed on multiple occasions. I even put it in the ditch once already because a rut in the slush/snow knocked the front of the truck to the right and it wouldnt come back... I steered left, nothing, steered some more and feathered the breaks, nothing, and as I slid of the road had the wheel turned full lock to the left and pumping the brakes but the truck continued to plow right... right into the ditch. I even have winter tires on the truck, and was not driving too fast for conditions, I was under the speed limit and there wasnt much snow left on the road (it had been plowed, but there were still some slush patches here and there). It wasnt like I was driving wrecklessly. Can anyone explain why my truck did this? The only thing I can think of is that the tires are too wide for the winter (225). A friend of mine has 215's on his dakota, which weighs some 800lbs more. I'm thinking 225's are a little wide for this light of a truck in the snow. Considering going with some 215/75-15 Firestone Destination A/Ts instead. What do you guys think?

Truck is a regular cab stepside 2WD, no LS.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
That's a possibility, wider tires tend to 'float' you more over stuff. I was out driving in circles in some snow the other night, and found that if you turn the wheel too far, the front wheels just skid. In your case, since they aren't driven, they don't necessarily want to spin forward (in relation to the truck). This makes it easier to break traction. While turning less may have still put you in the ditch its something to think about. You already have snow tires so that doesn't sound like the issue tread wise.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i would start by making sure there is no slop in the front end. that means check and replace if needed, the tie rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings.

it is not a problem with tire width.

it sounds like to me that in each situation, once the front end started to slide, most likely from braking, you didnt release the brakes and straighten the wheel so that the tires could grab again.

try playing in a parking lot in the snow. it is the best way to practice snow driving. besides, its lots of fun.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Play

try playing in a parking lot in the snow. it is the best way to practice snow driving. besides, its lots of fun.
Yeah, you really have to get to know each vehicle and how they handle in different situations. Going out and playing is the best way to get comfortable and then let that guide your future driving under those hazardous conditions. Some trucks just handle better in the snow than others and many factors play into this, tires being one of them. Winter tires help but can only do so much.

T.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Some trucks just handle better in the snow than others and many factors play into this
that is a good point aswell.

my 96 2wd ext. cab was amazing in the snow. i only had 300lbs of sand in the bed. i put each end on scales and it came out to 2000lbs on the front end and 1940 on the back. this indicates to me that snow handleing is perhaps more influenced by the weight distribution than by other factors.

lilredtruck, do you have weight in the bed of your truck too? if so how much?

Neurotoxin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 94 Ex sport and it would do the same thing...even in 4x4!. I put on new tire rod ends and all new ball joints.....I even bought new Dueler Revo's (235/75/15).....it still did it. It was horrible for catching a rut and taking off. I finally fixed it by driving it to the wreckers and buying the Ranger.

Sorry, no real help here. Never did find out why it was like that.

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I experianced this at work today. I was in one of our delivery trucks, a 07' 4x2 4cyl atuo with factory tires (225's I think), and it wanted to push around every corner that had any snow on it, I even bounced off a curb once. (had the good sense to turn the tires so they hit the curb head-on)

At noon, after 2 hours of driving in the snowstorm in the "little white death trap", (as my co-workers call our rangers) I decided I had enough, and drove my own truck. A 00' 4.0 4x4 ext.cab with 31x10.50 procomp mt's. Even in 2wd, I had no problems tracking around corners, even when braking.

lilredtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for all the replies. I had the the front end looked over last week when I got it aligned, everything came back good. I currently have no wieght in the box (except 100lbs of snow or so? ~10") and am not sure I want to put any back there since the rear end behaves nicely, its the front that steps out of line. I can't see how moving the center of gravity rearward would help that. When the truck slid into the ditch, I wasn't braking at all until it was for sure headed off the road. At first I just let off the gas and tried gently steering back, but the truck didnt respond...

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
could it be a lack of caster in the aliment maybe?...

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your suspension is all stock? No lifts, replacement springs, blocks, etc? Torsion bar cranked?

'99 Ford Ranger RCSB Stepside... 3.0L Flex-Fuel, 5spd, stock for now

T.

hunt-n-fish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.No
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for all the replies. I had the the front end looked over last week when I got it aligned, everything came back good. I currently have no wieght in the box (except 100lbs of snow or so? ~10") and am not sure I want to put any back there since the rear end behaves nicely, its the front that steps out of line. I can't see how moving the center of gravity rearward would help that. When the truck slid into the ditch, I wasn't braking at all until it was for sure headed off the road. At first I just let off the gas and tried gently steering back, but the truck didnt respond...
I had/have a '95 'splash' - God what a stupid name for a truck, but thats another topic. Anyway, yes some weight in the bed might help, but how much do you put in? My experience tells me the more weight I had in the back the longer it took to stop in slippery conditions. If you get out of any 'tracks' on the road and into the slushy or heavy snow towards the shoulder your gonna get sucked in or atleast squirrely(sp?) And like everyone has said before, if you turn your wheels to sharply and they lose traction all their gonna do is plow some snow out of your way. So, just drive cautiously and defensivley and "become one with your vehicle" (haha j/k) learn what she's gonna do and how to react. Rangers are good dependable little trucks and can be alot of fun. And most importantly; i don't know about where you live but here in Ohio every schmuck seems to forget over the summer how to drive in the winter and panics and cause more stupid accidents than you could imagine.

AK-Kayaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just a few things to add, the first is to try down shifting instead of using the brakes.
If you notice starting to plow, push in the clutch or even slip it into neutral.
And just because you are going under posted limit, does not mean you are not going to fast for the conditions, because clearly you were if you could not control the vehicle from going into a ditch.
And I don't see the tire width as a big problem, because my studded snows are 245's, and never had any trouble, I didn't bring on myself.
And last maybe just maybe slim chance your front brakes are dragging a little.

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
for my truck (yes it is a 4x4) i get some sand tubes, 5 60lbs., and that does the trick. but your truck is newer, so do you have abs? are you feathering the brakes?

lilredtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Supposed to have ABS, don't know if it's supposed to be front and rear or just rear. The fronts will lock if I stomp on them...

I personally don't like ABS. And yes, I know how to drive without it. All of the vehicles I've owned have been non-ABS (or had the ABS disabled).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals