• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Different Sized Bearings On U-Joints

jackedup03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
L4 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I am changing out my u-joints, and the new ones have 2 bearings (across from each other) that are slightly too big. I'm afraid to beat on them or I may break the hole.
Has anyone else had this problem? It's the same issue on both ends of the driveshaft. The new joints have 2 bearings the right size, and 2 that are slightly larger. My tranny yoke end has 4 holes the smaller size, and my differntial end has 4 holes the smaller size.
Do I need to buy 2 more joints and mix and match the bearings? The auto parts store swears that this should fix my truck, but I don't see how. They even checked above and below years to see if the part numbers were the same... they are.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jackedup03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
L4 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, by the way, these are the Duralast Gold u-joints from Autozone.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
which store?

Which parts store?
What part number did you buy?
The part store is only as good as it's database.
Bought a driveshaft center bearng support today From Autozone,
Advance auto parts was trying to sell me the wrong one.
:sad:

jackedup03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
L4 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bought them from Autozone. Part # 2-4900DG.
I'm just baffled. Trying to think of another way to fix this without having to go buy 2 more tomorrow and switch the earing cups to make 2 workable joints.
I can't say that I've had a lot of problems with this truck. I'd say that I've had pretty good luck with it. I try to do as much as I can, but it always seems to be something goofy like this.

Good thing you caught them before you bought the wrong support, Dennis. It's frustrating at times, especially when you get it, get home, tear it all down, and then figure out it's the wrong part. *sigh*

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Seems the duralast is an Autozone exclusive, so the part number won;t cross reference.
Seems automatic and manual takes different u-joints according to Autozone.
but
rockauto does not ask which tranny.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know NAPA carries the so called conversion joints that have the 1310/1330 bearings just like you describe. Not going to look tonight but they are common.
Dave

jackedup03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
L4 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's all over... u-joints changed and the world is all better now!

Guys,
Turns out that the idiot at Autozone screwed up. Of course, I didn't find out it was the wrong part until I had the driveshaft out and apart. Fortunately, I was able to bum a ride to O'Reilly's and they had the part I needed. When I mentioned what happened at Autozone, they really didn't have anything nice to say about it. O'Reilly's just gained a customer here.
Got the shft back in fine, and took it out for a spin today on the highway. I am super thrilled, and now I won't have to pay someone to do it for me ever again! There isn't any vibration or sqeeling at all.
By the way, the O'Reilly's part nuber is #354. Precision Universal Joints. Made in USA, not in China like the Autozone crap!
Thanks for all your help, and good luck on your next projects,
Bill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals