• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electronic 4x4 issues (go figure)

khardrunner14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a while since I've been around here, but it's good to see things still running well!

Anyway, the 4wd in my 96 Exploder Sport refuses to work properly. 1st, the vaccum line was missing completely...fixed that and it worked the few times I needed it over the summer just fine. BUT I went to use it in the snow yesterday and no joy. I've read through the FAQ's and a bunch of other postings, but I still have questions.

Here are the details:
- 96 explorer sport with the "sport track" electronic never working 4x4
- Auto Tranny

- Flip the switch to 4x4 high and NOTHING
- Put it in N and flip to 4x4 low and a slight click (switching rear gear ratio?) but no joy!
- lights occasionally blink when I try to engauge the 4wd, though there is no rythm or rhyme as to why. It's not the 6 times every 2 min thing. Most of the time they don't blink at all (especially in 4x4 high).

What are my options?
- Do I bite the bullet and get the manual hubs?
- If so can I just get the kit from an online 4x4 store?
- Do I need any other mods? How do I know which kit to get (ie spline count ect.)?

I know it's a bunch of questions, but you all have been here. Help me! Thanks!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The problem isn't with the hubs, it's with the electric motor that shifts the transfer case into 4x4 hi and low, and 2wd. The hubs you have on the Explorer aren't really hubs at all, the axle shaft is basically bolted directly to the spindle. In other words, the hubs are always engaged, even when you're in 2wd. You need to either clean/replace your shift motor on the transfer case, or swap out the transfer case for one with a mechanical shifter on the floor, instead of using a switch on the dash.
EDIT: Oh yea, and the problem may not actually be with the shift motor itself, it could also be wiring, the swtich on the dash, or some other electrical problem. This is why most guys prefer the manual-shift t-cases.

Last edited:

khardrunner14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Great! I love chasing electrical gremlins! Maybe it's time to convince the wife that she really needs a manual case.

Anyone with a cost estimate with that? I'd like to go used if possible. Of course all the work would be done at home if possible.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorers never came equipped with the vacuum hub system. The axles are retained by an outer 32mm nut to the hub assemblies. As such, there is no manual locking hub kit for your Explorer.

Sounds like the tcase shift motor went bad. Check out the tech section for a good write up on cleaning and servicing the shift motor. It may solve your issue.

khardrunner14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yep thanks. Is it worth just buying a new motor so I don't have to do the "service" ever year?

77'cj7

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cost was roughly 450 for my swap, for the t-case, linkage, and rebuilt and extended front driveshaft from donor truck.
However, your current front driveshaft should bolt right up, so that will take some of the cost off.

Last edited:

khardrunner14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had my mechanic look at it (it was in the shop anyway for an idle problem) and the darn thing worked fine for him. It's worked fine for me ever since. :buttkick: oh well.

Thanks for the help guys.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cleaning the shift motor will give you many years of service. It's not a yearly service.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals