• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

imrpoving fuel economy in 1996 b2300?

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm wanting to tune up my 96 b2300 (155,000 miles) and get better fuel economy. Right now it's not too good, with an average of 15 mpg city/hwy, and I try to drive economically (no hard acceleration, etc). I'm starting with the easy stuff first, like replacing accessible spark plugs/wires. What about the fuel injectors, is it easy to remove and clean them, and does it make a difference? It runs a bit rough only at idle and hesitates when hitting the throttle from a dead stop, so I know it needs some tweaking. I don't have a lot of money, so can't go too crazy at this point, such as replacing the fuel injectors with new ones.
Any other ideas on fuel economy/tune-up? Thanks!

vaskeet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
try seafoam in the gas tank for the injectors rough idle. Randy

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Re: Fuel Injectors

There is really no way to remove and clean injectors. As suggested by vaskeet, Seafoam, or any other injector cleaner in the gas tank is a good idea. however if you think they are faulty, see below.

Changing fuel injectors is not hard but its not cheap. You will have to remove the upper half of the Throttle Body to access them. See my response to "Removing Spark Plugs in 1996 2.3" (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66316)

When I replaced mine they were $85.00 each! And, I had to go to three stores to get them. I guess they are not a "stock" item. If you decide to go for it, change them spark plugs and wires on that side too!

FYI: the second set of plugs fires a split second after the primary plugs during the compression stroke to ensure a complete burn and reduce carbon emissions.

Adding to the good advise given by Original_Ranger84, there are other things you can do: Keep the bed free of junk. Extra weight robs horse power. Do you have a cap? Get rid of it and buy a tonneau cover. The cap weighs a lot more and acts like a sail catching wind. Also, the large flat back causes a vertex behind the truck that acts as a vacuum as the wind passing around the vehicle and collapses back on itself. This vacuum tends to pull the vehicle backwards, stealing horsepower. If you have an open bed, get a Turbo-Net or Tube-steel bed extender. They let the wind pass through where your tailgate acts as a sail catching wind as you drive.

Last edited:

grandpa5x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
You didn't say if you have manual or automatic, I have a '97 B2300 5spd that gets 28-30 MPG. Changed plugs iridium tip, air filter, fuel filter, plug wires, clean throttle body, but the biggest improvement came from removing the air silencer in the air intake, plus drive like you have a raw egg between your foot and gas pedal!! If you have the 5 spd get into 5th gear as soon as possible, almost forgot replace cooling fan with electric, worth .8 mpg and you'll be amazed at how much lower rpm the engine will pull without downshifting.

Greenie95B2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
You didn't say if you have manual or automatic, I have a '97 B2300 5spd that gets 28-30 MPG. Changed plugs iridium tip, air filter, fuel filter, plug wires, clean throttle body, but the biggest improvement came from removing the air silencer in the air intake, plus drive like you have a raw egg between your foot and gas pedal!! If you have the 5 spd get into 5th gear as soon as possible, almost forgot replace cooling fan with electric, worth .8 mpg and you'll be amazed at how much lower rpm the engine will pull without downshifting.

I have a 95 B2300, 5sp. For the air silencer, do you have a picture of it?
Thanks and great tips everyone:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals