• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

removing spark plugs in 1996 2.3?

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any tricks to removing the four spark plugs on the difficult side of the engine. It appears that parts need to be removed to access the plugs. Also, I think those plugs are the exhaust-side plugs, so is it even necessary/beneficial to replacing them? I'm trying to tune the thing up and get better gas mileage. Obviously the other four plugs on the intake side would make a difference so I will be replacing them.
Thanks!

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all 8 of those plugs are worth changing the they didnt put 8 in there for no reason they go off at different times to make all the fuel burn

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Change them all get motorcraft double platnums and motorcraft wires they have hooks to help put them on.you will need a few extensions and a swivel helpd the plugs are easy the wires are a pita There are a lot of posts with suggestions on how to. Do a search

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Easier than it looks.

I actually got those plugs out on the exhaust side with a series of extensions & swivels as suggested above. What a chore!

I recommend you remove the upper half of the intake. It seems daunting at first but its really not.

First, purchase a replacement manifold gasket. A good auto parts store should carry it. If the gasket surface is in good shape, you won't need sealant.

There should be five studs holding the top half of the manifold to the bottom. One at each corner and one in the center. Two of those studs are also used to hold auxiliary devices so they will have two nuts on them. The first holds the device, and second holds the manifold tight. There should be no need to disconnect the vacuum hoses. You may have to disconnect the throttle linkage and the Cruise Control linkage. (if installed) Once the two halves are separated, just lay the top half over to the side. The spark plugs are easy to get to.

If you have any doubts about doing this, buy the Haynes Manual for the vehicle. It will have step-by-step instructions - with pictures - (love pictures) on removing the manifold.

Best of luck. Go get 'em!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals