• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!

bmfw89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im getn pretty far in my swap, ive got everyhting now and finally got the motor pulled out of the ranger. im leaving for the army after the holidays so im gonna be on here asking a bunch of questions more then likely over the next few weeks. first, what kind of alternator do i need to find? im not really sure on the amperage for them nor do i really understand them. 2nd, does anyone have any advice on doing the motor mounts...i know they needed to be welded in but is there an easier way to do it or some kinda of trick other then test fitting it? and last for the time being, does anyone know the measurements the driveshaft has to be fabricated to or if there is anywhere i can get one already made? the one i have is kinda beat...thanks guys

bmfw89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
o yeh sorry. its a 4speed aod tranny if that helps with the driveshaft question...and i had planned on keeping it efi, i have the ecu n wire harness to go with it, but i did have one more quick question. i had planned on painting the engine bay b4 i drop the new motor in, so should i really take "everything" out of the bay? i mean will i need to keep anything in there since its a whole new motor and new wires? this is my first major swap/mod. so im kinda lost with what needs to be kept what can be re-used and what just needs to get out of the way...once again guys thanks

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I used to have instructions on how to put the V8 into it's place, but one of the Moderators, (in their infinate wisdom) removed it from the "other swap" forum. Why it was left there in the first place and not moved here was another mystery. Use the same alternator you now have. As for driveshaft length, that has to be determined after you have the V8 and trnasmission in place. Installing the mounts, depends on what mounts you use. If you use the Stang "Vert" mounts, all you need to do is cut a vertical slot in the cross member where the bottom stud off the mount sits. To figure that, you need to install the motor and trans in place, level it from side to side (carpenters level on the carb pad or lower EFI intake,where the upper sits pad) and front to back. Center it between the fenders, don't use the frame rails, they're not centered. Align the trans tail shaft to the pinion on the rear end. Once you have all this, then mark the cross member where those studs are touching it and pull the engine up. Then take a torch and cut a 1" long slot, downward, the width of the stud. Set the engine back down, bolt the mount to the crossmember. After I did that, I pulled the engine back out, leaving the mounts in place. Then I drilled two more holes each (there were holes in the mounts for this) and bolted these holes down too. Then I cut 4 studs from 7/16NC threaded rod, 2" long each and screwed these into the motor mount holes in the block, in place of the factory mount bolts. These are easier to align to the mount holes. Use 4 flanged lock nuts on the studs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals