• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radiator crud....

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,

I have a 98' Ranger, 4x4 with 200,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago my thermostat housing rusted a hole and leaked a allot of coolant out. I replaced the housing but was a little uneasy about the condition of the fluid. It has been nearly 50,000 miles since my last coolant flushing and it was a nasty rusty brown with thick brown cream like gunk on the cap of the radiator. I flushed it about 7-8 times with a flush kit and drove it around between each flushing with plain water in the system until I was able to get clear water. After flushing it I have filled it back up with premixed antifreeze and have driven it about 3k miles and its starting to produce this strange brown gunk on the cap and the coolant is getting discolored. Any thoughts on what this could be? My first fear was a blown head gasket, but it runs great and uses no oil.
Thanks for any pointers!

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like all the scale on the radiator core might be coming loose.

Any issues with overheating?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After flushing it I have filled it back up with premixed antifreeze and have driven it about 3k miles and its starting to produce this strange brown gunk on the cap and the coolant is getting discolored.
Are you the original owner? My guess is that someone ran regular antifreeze with just tap water and it contaminated the cooling system with rust. IMO, Have the cooling system pressure tested to be sure.

Pete

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's oil in the coolant. It doesn't take much oil to make it happen, so you won't necessarily notice the loss. It's also possible that the flushing didn't get all of the old sludge out.

I flush radiators with cascade dishwashing detergent. It's pretty good at cutting oil and rinses clean. Plus it's cheap! Just dissolve it in water before you add it.

And yeah, most likely a head gasket needs to be replaced.

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the pointers,

I do believe the system was filled with antifreeze mixed with regular water and thus would explain the corrosion. Would it be best to keep flushing in hopes to remove all the settlement? Also... Would the regular water that does not drain out that gets left in the system from flushing it, would that be enough to react with the fresh antifreeze?

How much work and money would be involved in replacing a head gasket myself? At what point is it best to rip into it, as of now it runs fairly well.

Thanks!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also... Would the regular water that does not drain out that gets left in the system from flushing it, would that be enough to react with the fresh antifreeze?
There's additives in the antifreeze that prevents corrosion from happening, but they can only do so much. Tap water just has a lot of minerals in it.

How much work and money would be involved in replacing a head gasket myself? At what point is it best to rip into it, as of now it runs fairly well.
Since it runs okay I would either put compressed air into each cylinder and watch for water bubbles in the radiator, or have the system pressure tested, or I believe they make test kits to test your radiator fluid.

$250-300 tops?

Pete

synapse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It could be also the problem I had. The prior owner put a ton of stop leak in the cooling system before I bought the truck. It collected around the cap. Took and real hard flush to get it all out. Then the leak at the water pump re-appeared.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals