• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B4000 Engine Swap

b4000-1994

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently blew the head gasket on my 1994 Mazda B4000. The engine has 310 000 on it so I figure I might as well replace the engine. I am wondering if anyone knows how many conversions I would have to do if I replaced it with a 2001 Explorer Engine.
Is it better to replace it with a similar year?
I have a couple of engine options but I want to know a little more before buying one.
Any help would be great.

Thanks

tattooguy2308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 b3 and am planning a swap. I have purchased a 96 explorer and am looking for as much advise as possible . How are you coming with your swap

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Check the tech library, all the info you could ask for. I'd probably go with a 5.0L V8

But if I had time and money I'd much rather put a cummins 4bt turbodiesel...That would be Bitchen'!!!

b4000-1994

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey

I am still working on the sawp. A little bit of wiring still needs to get done but the truck seems to be running well. It depends on how much you know about engines. I ended up doing a swap with an identical engine just for simplicity. With 95s and above they changed engine styles (single over head cam to double, or something like that) so there will be different wiring and hoses. I had another thread and lots of people were telling me it would not be worth it. Having the same engine i was able to do the swap with a simple socket set in my drive way. Waiting until winter was over would have been a good idea. However I had no mechanical experience before this. Had never even changed my oil. There will be a lot of problems you do not expect and can be very frustrating. Stick to it though and you will be able to get it all figured out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals