• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Fuel.....please Help Asap!!!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck's been parked since Friday afternoon and when I went outside to start it just now, it just kept cranking over and over!

Then I thought I would turn the key to the on posititon to listen for the fuel pump to come on and no go. I'm going outside to check fuses right now. The only thing I hear is the relays clicking underneath the hood in the distribution block on the drivers side.

This is in my 95 2.3 Ranger. Is there anything else I should look at? Please help, thanks.

Allen

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well spray some startin fluid in it to see if it starts, if it does then your getting no fuel, possibly a bad fuel pump/relay or low fuel pressure. May want to replace fuel filter if you havent for a while. If it doesn't start with the startin fluid it may be ignition related.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, yeah that was my next thing to try. I just got back inside from pulling/checking ALL fuses and all is good there. I'm going outside now to pull the rubber boot from the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner down it to see if it starts.

I'll be right back! Thanks for the quick reply buddy.

Allen

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At first I forgot to open the plenum so the carb cleaner could get through the intake.....doh!

Well the truck wants to run but the fuel's just not getting there. Checked all the wiring and it's all good from the tank to the box. Should the relays be clicking the way they are? I'm thinking of going to the pick-n-pull right now to get some relays to check.

I'm really hoping it's not the pump, but if it is I'm guessing pulling the tank is the way I'm going to do it. Any other tests for the pump out there? Is'nt there a reset switch or something by my passenger floorboard? Thanks.

Allen

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
At first I forgot to open the plenum so the carb cleaner could get through the intake.....doh!

Well the truck wants to run but the fuel's just not getting there. Checked all the wiring and it's all good from the tank to the box. Should the relays be clicking the way they are? I'm thinking of going to the pick-n-pull right now to get some relays to check.

I'm really hoping it's not the pump, but if it is I'm guessing pulling the tank is the way I'm going to do it. Any other tests for the pump out there? Is'nt there a reset switch or something by my passenger floorboard? Thanks.

Allen
Yes, I remember something about a reset switch on the passenger floorboard, but I don't know how to reset it. Have you crawled underneath and checked for power to your fuel pump? Do you have a clogged fuel filter?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I'm positive it's the pump as it won't even come on. I just checked my Haynes manual and it says to check the inertia switch for continuity and the fuse there as well. If that pans out then I have to use jumper wires to the pump to see if it's a short somewhere or if it's the pump itself.

I guess sort of like testing a starter?

The inertia switch is located on the passenger side firewall/floorboard under the carpet, so I'm off to the garage now to check that out. Does anyone know how to check relays? Thanks.

Allen

Last edited:

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well looks like I'm going to need a new fuel pump. There was no fuse at the inertia switch and I unplugged the electrical connector from the switch and popped it and then reset it.

Still no workie!

My plans for now are:

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the bed up to give me enough room to access the pump and then test it with jumper wires to make 100% sure it's not some short somewhere. I'm like 99% sure the pump went out but it's better safe then sorry you know? Then I'll track down a new pump and install it. I hope they're not too expensive cause I'm broke as a joke.

When this type of fuel pump goes out is it common for them to go out like this without a warning? I mean to just straight out stop working without giving an intermittent warning? Thanks guys.

Allen

Last edited:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When this type of fuel pump goes out is it common for them to go out like this without a warning? I mean to just straight out stop working without giving an intermittent warning? Thanks guys.

Allen
When we had our Cavalier (bad words, bad words, bad words!) its fuel pump failed suddenly and catastrophically. Sometimes beating on the fuel tank while cranking will inspire it to jump past whatever cog is having a problem.

Also, my father in law had a Suburban whose fuel pump suddenly and inexplicably failed just after we'd returned from a holiday. I drove the truck from Revelstoke to the front of my house (about a 5 hour drive), then parked it so we could unload. My father-in-law got in the machine to finish the drive home (they live about 45 minutes further west), but it wouldn't start. We had to tow it down to the GM dealer for repairs.

So yes, electric fuel pumps DO fail suddenly. I just haven't had it happen in my Ford.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The'll just up and quit, remember that pump is 12 years old like the rest of the truck.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Anupaum....and everyone else for your experience in this matter!

Yeah, the stupid pump will not even come on. Everytime I turned the ignition key on prior to today I could always hear the fuel pump hum on before I cranked over the old girl, but not today. She upped and quit on me.

I'm wondering if I should buy one new or used now as I'm really hurting for cash and just recently filed for unemployment. I'm still working but only like 2 days a week right now. I guess I'll see what the price difference is first as a new one at AutoZone is like $80.00. Thanks again guys.

Allen

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if you're gonna go through the work of doing it, just get a new one. And when you do it, just pull the bed backwards about a foot and it will give you more than enough room to replace the pump, its just the six bed bolts, the 3 screws for the tank fill neck and the electrical connector at the back of the bed.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey take a good look in there, you may have bunch of contamination in the tank you need to remove to prevent another pump failure.

You could consider something like a whole new Fuel Pump Hangar Assembly, which includes Fuel Pump, Sender, Float & Strainer all together for just a little more money.

Hope things get better for you.

T.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, thanks for the tips guys.

Sounds pretty simple to change though. After I pull the bed back far enough is it pretty straightforward on changing it out? Thanks in advance.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals