• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no spark

rangersaresuicide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
iv done everything. its an 88 2.9 i swaped computer, coil, distributor and reran all wiring and still no spark at all. it ran for a while but like crap and i swaped the coil and thats when the no spark occured and now im stuck.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
No spark from the coil? Check to see if you have power to the coil(red wires). Do a test on your TFI module on the back of your distributor. There is a bunch of stuff on the TFI mod. in the tech library.

rangersaresuicide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have power going to the coil i just havent checked if there is power going from the coil to the distributor and i swaped a distributor from another running truck with the tfi on it and it didnt do anytrhing so i dont think its that. im just totally stumped.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i have power going to the coil i just havent checked if there is power going from the coil to the distributor and i swaped a distributor from another running truck with the tfi on it and it didnt do anytrhing so i dont think its that. im just totally stumped.
Frustrating for sure!:tease:
how about the coil wire?? you may have done this under "reran all wires". just checking.
when this happen to myself it ended up being the pick-up coil in the distrib.

but as notied... you did a working swap.
the tech library here has good info about checking ignition.

my 1st thoughts...double check to see if you got the distributor in correctly, not off a tooth or 2
...180*...from when you did the swap.
Also, there maybe an ignition relay that is bad.... on the fender well.

hope that helps

rangersaresuicide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Still no spark. heres exactly what iv'e done.

Swapped the dist with a known working unit.
Swapped the coil with a known working unit.
Swapped the computer with a known working unit.
New ECC
New Ignition switch.
New Wires
Went over all wiring checking for breaks,bare wires.
Checked all ground wires.

I am getting no spark out of the coil itself.
I have power on the red wires going into the coil when the key is on. I also get power to the green wire going into the coil when the key is on.

Any ideas guys? Im not too fimilar with these electrical systems and i've done the most i can. Thanks!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Have you made sure that you are getting power to the computer?

rangersaresuicide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have power to the computer but no ground so i checked the eec relay and im getting power and ground to the eec but just not to the computer. so theres a problem from the eec to the computer? hows that happen?

rangersaresuicide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
scratch that i have a good ground:icon_confused:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The green wire at the coil is what tels it to fire, I think, If you have power on the red and green wires, your prob. lies within the tfi mod or the wiring to it.
I had the exact same prob with my 2.9. I replaced everything also and still no luck. I noticed that when I jiggled the wires around going to the tfi mod, the ignition relay would click on and off showing that I had a ground out wire in that section of wiring. After fooling with this prob for about 2 weeks, I went to a Junk yard and got the harness that goes from the tfi mod to a gray plug sitting on the pass. side valve cover(It has 7 wires i think and its maybe 8 inches long). this fixed my prob and it started right up. I had a wire that was grounding out inside of the tfi ignition shield, a black covering that goes over 3 or 4 wires on that harness. That is something you may want to check
Also, there are two black wires, like 10 ga. I believe, that are coming from your battery, which i believe is a ground for your comp. Mine were all corroded making me have no spark after I had fixed the prob
Hope this helped

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the eec and the computer are one in the same. There are quite a few grounds that the computer needs to work, there is one battery direct, two to the chassis right near the computer, and one that goes to the passenger side cylinder head. All of these need to be in good working order for the computer to work correctly. Are you sure that you have power to the computer? Just because the relay is clicking doesnt mean that there is power at the computer. check your IDM resistor for continuity and the correct resistance as well (~22k ohms)

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The ground wire (green with yellow stripe) gets is ground from the TFI module which plugs into the pickup coil inside the distributer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals