• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine doesn't get above 140

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Vehicle:- 1986 Ford Ranger pickup, 2.3 gas engine, 4x4,5 speed manual transmission.

Problem:- Can't get engine temperature over 130 to 140 degrees without covering the radiator in winter.
Heater doesn't give out enough heat for people to stay warm in winter.
Engine doesn't run as efficiently as it should.
The engine doesn't overheat during the summer.

What I have done:- Changed thermostat 6 times:- 2 from Ford dealer, 2 from Napa, and 2 from Schucks. All have been checked in a pan of water with a thermometer and all have been within spec.
Heater hose route seem to be correct.
Temp of the engine and various hoses have been taken and they are all low.
All parts of the water & heater system are in good shape.

Questions:- How should the heater hoses be routed?
What direction does the water run in the heater hoses?
Where do the ends of the heater hoses connect, specifically?
Any ideas, please!

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
have you checked your fan clutch?might be shot,moving too much air.fwiw.

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
The fan clutch has been checked by the dealer and one other mechanic and according to them it runs accorcing to spec.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i noticed on both my 2.9l trucks that the slip on connector that goes to the temp sensor would corrode affecting the total ohm's of the circuit and make my truck read way lower than it really was.i cleaned out the rust and used dielectric grease to seal out water.is the 2.3 temp sensor the one wire style like the 2.9l and 4.0l?
EDIT:but then again my heater worked fine?

Last edited:

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
the thermocouple reading of the engine and the hoses agree with the temp gauge on the dash

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
smaller radiator? is yours bigger than it should be?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The water for the heater core is routed from the head to the heater core then to the water pump, the pump 'sucks' the water in but, the heater core doesn't care which way the water flows through it.

If the thermostat is not installed correctly then you will not get heat, I have a keen grasp of the obvious, no?

How could you have installed 6 thermostats wrong? My best guess is that the rubber seal on the outside of the thermostat is not seating correctly in the housing, for some reason.

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
The thermostat seems to open at the correct temp (abt 190) but tht temp is not maintained in fact goes down to 130 to 140. This seems to me to mean there is bypass of the thermostat, it is not seated correctly of somehing is keeping it from closing. Any ideas?

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My 92 has been like that for years. New thermostats don't seem to help. I too have resorted to cardboard!

It's very annoying. The worst part is when you do get it to warm up you lose all the temp when you turn on the heat.

In the summer it has no problem making heat. It's crazy and your not the first person to complain about this. That little bitty one core radiator seems to overcool the engine, except for the summer.

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Thank you tbirdsps at least I know I'm not the only one with this problem. There has to be an answer to the problem!

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your antifreeze mix. Getting it wrong can do very odd things to your cooling system.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
My best suggestion would be to pull the thermostat and double check to be sure that the rubber seal on the outside of the thermostat was not damaged or distorted when you pushed it into the outlet. Also, the thermostat needs to be pushed down so that that seal is all the way down at the bottom, if you leave it sit up enough off of the bottom lip that it uncovers the hole to the heater hose connection you'll also loose heat to the radiator.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had the same problem with my Ranger and ended up putting the cardboard over the driver's side of the rad only. This also helped keep roadspray off the electrical components but...unfortunately...I left the cardboard in on one day when the outside temperature spiked unusually high...ended up cracking the head...

There are higher temp thermostats that you can use also...they tend to stay closed longer (I think that's how they work) and when they do open you get good heat...I don't think I was ever 'really warm' in mine...always seemed to be a bit too cold to make it comfy inside...

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have the V6 radiator in mine, and the engine temp rarely moves above 80 C. I've got plenty of heat though, even when it's cold outside and the wind is blowing.

redandwhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I want to thank you all for all the feed back.
Another question allong this same line, what about the fan clutch? 1. does the fan have a clutch? 2. if there is a clutch is it free wheeling untill the temp gets abgove a certian point? 3. when stateing a cold engine does is the fan engaged then free wheeling? 4. in other words if there is a clutch what is normal?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals