• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shifting out of 4x4

flyboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I shifted my truck into 4x4, just 'cause I haven't done so in a while, just to get it through the cycles, and everything was fine. When I shifted back to 2 wheel, after a couple seconds, the front end started clicking really fast.The clicking got faster as the wheels turned faster, not as the transmission turned faster. As I came to a stop sign and slowed down there was a pop, and the clicking stopped.
I'm sure its no big deal, but I would like to know what the sound was, if anyone out there has an idea.
Really appreciate it and love the site. (1994 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 5speed)

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do you have the automatic hubs in the front? If so then they one or both of them hadn't unlocked yet, sometimes it helps if you throw it in reverse and back up a little to get the pressure off them so they pop back unlocked.

flyboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it has auto locking hubs. Thank you for the reply. I feel better knowing what it is now. Once the clicking stops with that pop, it doesn't do it anymore. Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals