• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan Shroud question

jfug97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88 ranger 2.9 that had no shroud when I bought it, it runs just a tad on the warm side, will no shroud make it run very much hotter?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 ranger 2.9 that had no shroud when I bought it, it runs just a tad on the warm side, will no shroud make it run very much hotter?
Certainly can, I wouldn't run without one as it reduces cooling efficiency alot especially at lower road speeds.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Frankly, 2.9L cooling systems are marginal even with a manual transmission (no ATF cooler) and a fan shroud. You NEED the fan shroud. 2.9Ls are prone to head cracks, so you want that cooling system in top shape.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
while you are at the wreckers getting a shroud don't forget to find a 4.0l radiator(explorer or ranger) to go with it,it bolts in.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
while you are at the wreckers getting a shroud don't forget to find a 4.0l radiator(explorer or ranger) to go with it,it bolts in.
I did that for several years and didn't find it necessary and have since gone back to the stock Ranger radiator. If you have an automatic you should be runnning an extra cooler in addition to the trans cooler in the radiator.

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been running with out one since putting a body lift in... there is nothing for me to lower the radaitor since it came from a junk yard...

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I strongly recommend AGAINST junkyard rust containers, oh I mean radiators. They aren't very expensive brand new, and they might prevent a several-thousand-dollar disaster.

And the stock transmission cooler is completely adequate unless the transmission is slipping or is severely overloaded. Don't judge by size; heat transfer to water is FAR FAR FAR faster and more effective than heat transfer to dilute gasses such as air.

Something I've been wondering about these body lifts -- is it possible to jack up the ENGINE MOUNTS to move the fan back to the correct position? Assuming the transmission were left alone, this would solve a longstanding problem especially on short-wheelbase vehicles with driveline angles. The rear end can be shimmed, but the transfer case and transmission are usually left fixed.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals