• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4X4 help for '89

Shanok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the first big snow blast of the year is here and I'm looking to use the 4 wheel drive - as I'm sure many others are. I've gone through the links Jspafford provided as for what to check first if it isn't working, but got stumped quick.

I'm hoping someone will know which fuse is the one I'm looking for on the '89 Ranger 4X4 Supercab since I do not have an owner's manual. Thanks!

Last edited:

Shanok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I'm pretty sure it's electric. Last summer when using it in California it was working fine. Shift-on-the-fly worked for both Hi and Lo and you'd hear the clicking noise and all that. Now, I get no indication at all that it's trying to engage.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
ok. do a search in this forum. the electric transfer cases are notoriously problematic. typically the problem is that the grease that is on the contacts that are used to tell the controler what position the transfer case is in, dries out and prevents them from making contact. when this happens, the controler goes into a failsafe mode and does not shift. it is fairly easy to fix. this has been covered multiple times.

Shanok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this has been covered multiple times.
I realize that, and as I indicated I have already found a helpful thread to walk me through the possible easy fixes. I was just hoping someone could point me towards which fuse I'm looking for. I've gone ahead and ordered a repair manual.

WingsOfSaturn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Open the jump seat behind the drivers seat, there you will see the control unit. Disconnect the two front connectors, press the white button with the key in the RUN position. You should get a flashing red light. Bet you do. Reconnect the two connectors.
Now take off your electric shift motor and fix it. Hardest part is removing the brown wire. It comes out of the connector (pull the red piece out of the connector to release the brown wire) and not the transfer case.
Also make sure you have a T-20 security bit to remove the cover and sometimes those dont work. I then cut a slot in the screw and use a large screw driver. Remember to mark the cover position!!!
I bet your gear plastic bushing is toast. Every one that I have opened there would be multiple pieces of the bushing. I just replace it with a piece of 1/4" hose cut to length. I like using http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542 on the older shift motors(non blue cover).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals