• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

k&n filter adapter addendum

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i was digging for information regarding my 2.3 and was noticing in the tech library there was an article that showed how to build a k&n air filter adapter. the method shown was to use a toilet flange and cut it out, i have done in the past and still have on my new to me ranger an easier solution. at your local autozoo in the performance aisle down by the spectre performance universal conical air filters (the ones i use for 20 bux rather than 50 or so for a k&n and do just as well) there is an accessory known as the 3" intake duct mounting plate part number 8148. basically its a four bolt square adapter that bolts to ur firewall or whereever and u can put a 3 inch hose or air filter on it. u can take that adapter and place it on your maf and it will bolt up w/ two bolts diagonally, i siliconed mine to prevent air leaks, then mounted the air filter to it. 5 minute install and let ur silicone set a few minutes (if u choose to use silicone between the mounting surfaces, it is recommended as to not let dirt etc in your engine.) and u can mount a 3 inch conical filter directly to the end of your stock maf no cutting tools etc required.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I've done this as well, but then I just went and swapped MAF housings entirely. The MAF housing from a 1995-1997 Ford Contour 2.3L (possibly the other gen and other engin may work, not sure) has a round connection for hoses on BOTH ends instead of a square 4-bolt interface like rangers, so I bought one and inserted one end into the intake hose and the other end is fitted with one of those Sceptre filters. It has flanges with slots on each side which are useful to facilitate mounting the filter. However, one MUST swap the MAF sensor assembly as the ranger was something like "ABCDEF" and the contour plug was something like "ABCFDE" but it does fit. Its also ever so slightly larger diameter but its not really noticeable. I got my MAF housing for $14 at the local junkyard and its been working fine since. I just used a section of steel with a twist and a hole drilled at each end to hold it in place... a self-tapping screw to fasten to the front clip and then a nut with two bolts and a lockwasher in between to hold to the MAF housing.:icon_thumby:

There's also something similar mentioned in the Tech Library where someone did this with a 4.0 Ranger and used a MAF housing from a 3.8 Taurus (similar idea-flanged on both ends.) I didn't want to steal someones idea so I figured I'd mention where I got the idea. :icon_cheers:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i just made mine out of some plate and 3" exhaust tubing and welded it up!!

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
looks nice.... is it just a scrap of steel you bolted on to hold it? All they had at O'Reallys was these puny lookind chromed up bolts with swivels and wingnuts and junk....

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i was bored one and i was at my buddy shop and he was chopping a frame to make a rat rod and i found them and just drill and bolted them on but soon i will replace them aluminum ones...

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if KNN makes a direct replacement filter (3.0 if your wondering) to fit in the stock airbox?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
does anyone know if KNN makes a direct replacement filter (3.0 if your wondering) to fit in the stock airbox?
yes, for my '86 2.9

Richard

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where did you get it?

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yeah any auto parts store should have them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals