• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog Light Reflectors Refurbish?

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The reflector part of the fog light assemblies on my truck are in extremely bad shape. The reflective coating is flaking of in big chunks. I'm thinking of completely removing the reflective material and spraying them with chrome like paint. Has anyone here ever used that stuff and do you think it will work?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you will be able to get the surface good enough to make the paint effective. Best bet would be the metal tape they use for duct work, I've used that stuff with acceptable results.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
they have chrome looking stuff for r/c cars but the stuff is not cheap and you might be better off just getting them from a junkyard!!!

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 99 Trans Am was being a huge PITA with the factory running light/turn signal lenses. They would crack. they were only 30 dollars a piece, so I replaced them once and they lasted a year... So after that I went to the hardware store and bought some Lexan, removed the lenses from the car and then using a hacksaw, very carefully sawed the lense off the housing. I pitched the lenses, and sanded the housing flat where I sawed off the lens. The reflector looked nasty, so I went to wash it, and the silver washed off!! So I went and bought some really shiney crome looking model spray paint (krylon chrome looks more like silver) and painted the reflectors with it. I used the housing to trace onto the Lexan, and cut it out with a jigsaw, and sanded the edges smooth, removed the film and glued them in place with a thin bead of clear silicone. Took me a couple hours to do both. They looked sharp, worked well, and held up much, much better than the OE. I wish I took pictures of it to show... So yes, I would say give it a try.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New fogs are only about $30 a piece from certifit.

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reviving an old thread here but back in May I tried some Rustoleum Chrome paint in the foglight reflectors and it's holding up great!

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
cool! Glad your fogs received new life!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals