• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bright headlights

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any ideas on brighter headlights on an 84 BII? Without a lot of expense??

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Make sure your ground connections are good. That means take them apart and clean all of the contact surfaces. install halogen bulbs. A week alternator can make headlights dim. And wipe the dirt off of them.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I will ck the connections altho there probably ok. Headlights are pretty normal in brightness but I need something a little extra.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Blinding oncoming traffic is considered rude, and doesn't enhance your safety one bit.

Frankly, with no traffic, you can almost drive by moonlight. It's not necessary to have massively bright headlights.

The one detail left out of the suggestions above is to have your headlights aimed. Poor aim can make a lot of difference. Even marginal aim can.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the headlight switches are marginal when it comes to the increased amps of the f'n blue lights also right?my cousin did the i'm brighter than yours bulbs and he had to start fliking to low beams while the other car was in veiw so they would know he was on low beams and not put their high beams on in his face.not worth it to me,but on a sealed beam truck you might want a little more by getting halogens?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with MAKG on the headlight aim. If they're aimed too high, then you won't be able to see as well AND you'll be blinding traffic. I disagree about the safety thing though. Where I live, you have to keep an eye out for deer. Brighter lights are going to illuminate a larger area and give you more room to react when you see an animal in the road. What about installing aux driving lamps. That way you won't be increasing the brightness of the low beams, but you'll be able to flip them on when there are no cars coming. I'll admit, if I'm driving at night and I can see there are no cars coming for a couple miles, I'll flip on all four aux lights on the front of my truck and I do shut them off when I see another car. I'd like to think some of the close calls I've had with deer recently were because of the increase in illumination, not just luck.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Cheap headlights need to be bright.
GOOD headlights don't.

I run E-code Hella H4 headlamps.

They DO NOT make a blinding bright blob of light on the ground immediatly in front of the truck.

that blob and/or it's brightness is counterproductive because that ammount
of light right in front of you causes your pupils to contract and makes you able to see less.

With the european type (E-code) headlamps the light is FAR more evenly distributed
and though you might not see the light reflecting back at you from the road surface
under some conditions (like when the road is wet) that is only because there is really nothing to see, so your pupils can dialate and increase your night vision.

E-code lights take a little getitng used to but once you do the crappy SAE standard lamps will never satisfy you.

It's like the difference between Good dark chocolate and crappy milk chocolate.
"Brighter" lights are like sweeter chocolate, except it isn't a matter of taste.

Now that all being said brighter BULBS are available for H4 lamps
but being honest the wiring on your truck simply isn't up to the
increased current drain, even if the switches could handle the current
and being honest about that... the switches aren't capable either.

I run the "stock" 60w/55w bulbs in my lamps.
If I want more light I turn on my 100w driving lights.
If I want a "blob" in front of the truck I also have foglights

But unlike the room temp IQ drivers I see all the time I have
my lamps aimed correctly and dron't drive around with my
foglamps on all the time.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals