• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 died and no spark--stumped

smiley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 & 86
Transmission
Manual
My 86 4wd died last winter while plowing snow like I had turned the key off. Coasted it out of the way for the summer, but snow is on the way so started working on it this week. It has absolutely no spark from the coil. I even tried a buzz box on the distributor, but even with that, no spark went through to the plugs.
So far I have replace the tfi unit, coil, entire distributor and checked all obvious wiring and connections. Haven't replaced the control module yet as I don't have a spare. One thing I found under the starter solenoid is a small relay with only one wire running to it. There's a connector where another wire appears to have been, but I've searched high and low and can't find a loose wire. Any idea what it is?
My next endeavor will be to check all wires involved with the ignition for continuity, but in tracing the wiring charts in my Haynes manual, I find a wire that runs from second pin (11--IDM??) down of the tfi module that runs to something marked with 12A581 and E3EB 14A 624A, but no identifying legend. Does anyone have any idea what that part is and where it's located.
I'll be gone for the weekend so won't be able to check it out untill mon, but any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Smiley

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
have you checked the eec relay?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Igntion Module.

That how my 87 quit when it died. Ran fine then quit like i shut the key off.

later,
Dustin

smiley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 & 86
Transmission
Manual
Rusty ol Ranger
Been there done that twice.

Holyford86
I checked so many things I can't remember if I missed anything. Got a Chilton shop manual from my nephew this weekend that lays out everything. As soon as I get a chance, I'll go back through it all.

If it comes to this, I happen to have a backhoe and 25 acres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Instructions for shovel:
1)Dig deep hole
2)Put anything that annoys you into hole
3)Put dirt back into hole.
If they really annoy you, then you simply don't kill them first.

I don't think it will go that far though as I also happen to have an 84, carbureted out back that the plow would fit right on andd the 886 can sit there for parts.
Thanks,
Smiley

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Rusty ol Ranger
Been there done that twice.

Holyford86
I checked so many things I can't remember if I missed anything. Got a Chilton shop manual from my nephew this weekend that lays out everything. As soon as I get a chance, I'll go back through it all.

If it comes to this, I happen to have a backhoe and 25 acres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Instructions for shovel:
1)Dig deep hole
2)Put anything that annoys you into hole
3)Put dirt back into hole.
If they really annoy you, then you simply don't kill them first.

I don't think it will go that far though as I also happen to have an 84, carbureted out back that the plow would fit right on andd the 886 can sit there for parts.
Thanks,
Smiley
was the TFI's that you put on...new or from a known running truck??...I had a brand new TFI that went bad within 50 miles...i suspect that it was really all that good to begin with.

check the wiring for brakes/fraid areas ...check grounds. and yes the EEC relay as suggested earlier.

was the distributor that was swapped in new ? or used....double check the timing maybe you got it off a tooth or 2.

if used was it from a known running condiction? for myself it ended up being the pick-up coil under the distributor rotor.

hope that helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals